1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reflective reviews...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by stevebuckley84, May 20, 2009.

1. Hi, I'm a first year Registered Teacher Programme student with five years experience of PPA, Y6 Booster groups and in house cover.
    I'm passionate about teaching and put my all into the lessons- but am rubbish with the unnecessary paper trail. I'm being assessed just after half term and need to show that I have been reflective in my practice.

Big ask, I was wondering if anyone has done these and could email me over to edit! If you can help, please please do!

2. Hi Steve
    Being reflective is not an unnecessary paper expercsie and it is not something that you can fudge from someone eles's work. The whole point about reflective practice is that YOU reflect on your own work/teaching/planning etc and from that, inform future work. Reflective practice is not possible using someone else's work simply because they are not reflecting on what you have done, but what they have done!
    Teaching is a profession and the heart of being a professional is not about knowing what to do and how to do it but WHY you are doing it - in other words linking theory with practice.
    Many people starting on a teacher education programme (myself included over 25 years ago) are scathing about theories of teaching and the seemingly 'unnecessary' lesson planning and evaluation etc., but as you progress I hope that you will be able to see the necessity. early on in my teaching career I appreciated the role of being a reflective practitioner and how theory helps practice in teaching.
    This evening there was an interesting programme where an actress who normally portrays a teacher went to a school to try and actually BE a teacher.
    Just because you look like a teacher, sound like a teacher and behave like a teacher it does not make you a teacher - as she found out. Just doing or copying without thinking and refkecting on what works and why and linking this to ideas/theories about how children develop, how they learn etc. is really just play acting at being a teacher.
    So, to get you started;
    Being a reflective practitioner means that you think about your lessons and you reflect on the children's learning - what did they learn? How do you know that they have learned something?
    Can you identify what most/some/all of the children know, understand or can do at the end of a lesson that they couldn't at the start?
    If learning wasn't taking place what prevented it? Was it that the work was too difficult? was the work too easy and they already know/understood it? Was it about poor behaviour or that they were not engaged? If so what could you do differently to prevent poor behaviour of to raise interest and engagement?
    If you were to teach that lesson again what would you do differently and why?
    What have you gained from the lesson - what have you learned?
    These are some of the questions you should be asking yourself after a lesson so that you can reflect on it and learn from it.
    James

3. Hi Steve!!
    I just came across ur msg on tes!! I hope your final assessment went fine!
    And your reflective reviews?[​IMG]
    I know its a bit late now but you can afford to just pen in bullet points of important info in your diary, then at every half term u expand on them!!!
    Graceann( from the same course/same uni!!!)

4. Hello James,
    Could you tell me a bit more about what it means to be lerning from 'putting teaching theory into practice.' It would just help to get a couple of pointers from you about what this essentially means..
    Thanks Jane