1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reflective Log/Journal

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Emmylou717, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Has anyone started their reflective log yet? I am a bit biwildered as to what to put in it. I know what it is supposed to be, but I am struggling with it. Does it become easier once you are in school and in the classroom?
    Is anyone else struggling with this? Our training provider has said we should already be writing in it but I can`t think of anything to write :(

2. Has anyone started their reflective log yet? I am a bit biwildered as to what to put in it. I know what it is supposed to be, but I am struggling with it. Does it become easier once you are in school and in the classroom?
    Is anyone else struggling with this? Our training provider has said we should already be writing in it but I can`t think of anything to write :(

3. Who are you training with? We haven't even been told what it is supposed to be / what to include yet! (unless I've missed it! I'm with Derby Uni).

4. Hey, I`m with Hull Citywide. Its basically a journal that you record ideas, evaluate what you have seen done, how you could improve etc. This makes sense to me once I have actually started in the class, but just from the 2 conference days we have had I have nothing to write yet. I struggle with being reflective at the best of times so this is my big worry. I am sure it will turn out fine, and we have info on it in our handbook, I think I am just panicking.

5. Yeah that makes sense - hard to reflect when you haven't started yet! Maybe just write some **** about wheat you found most/least useful/surprising from the conference days or something and any ideas they gave you.

6. paulcollins

paulcollins New commenter

Hi there,
    I've been doing a reflective journal as a blog...
    http://mrcollinsreflectivejournal.blogspot.com
    I've been doing this since June and have found it really helpful to collate ideas/resources. I also find Twitter is amazing for getting advice/tips/resources from other educational people on Twitter - feel free to loof me up @mrprcollins and take a look at the people I follow for good websites/blogs etc.
    Let me know if you set up a similar thing -it would be good to see another GTP's experiences and reflections!
    Thanks,
    Paul

7. We have been given a hardbacked diary to use as a reflective log. I think the thing that scares me is that the tutors kept going on about how it shouldn`t be descriptive. I think I`ll just write some stuff and if its not quite as wanted hopefully my mentor will guide me :)

8. Hi
    My experience of writing reflective journals is that they will improve with each one you do. I have been doing reflections for the last 6 months as part of TA course and when I look at the first one I almost laugh. Now they are a lot longer and include much more indepth analysis.
    So don't be afraid of them, they will improve, in fact it maybe worth starting with a 'mind-map' of ideas and feelings and then think about it and later add more things before finally writing your reflective account.
    Also remember to base them on the QTS std that you are working through, this will be a good starting point. Your reflections can then relate to the stds that it will become the evidence trail for.
    Thanks
    Nick

9. ammonia

ammonia New commenter

Hi Nick,
    Do you know if the reflective journal can be included as part of the evidence trail? So, for instance, could a page-long reflection on one of the standards as it relates to your own practice be included as one of the five?
    Thanks!

10. I did GTP with Derby two years ago. We had an induction in the June and they told us to write the starting entry about why we wanted to teach (I went back to this as the starting for my reflective assignment later in the course). Basically you write things in that reflect on your practise and training: things that went well (and why); things that went wrong (and why); Changes you made (and why); A child/other teacher/headteacher/mentor/tutor comment; discussions with colleagues or fellow students; talks to parents; in fact anything and everything.
    The main thing is to be honest. Ultimately this is for your eyes only. You will be expected to write a reflective assignment at some point on the course and think about how you have developed as a teacher. You need to look at lots of different aspects of your practise and reflection for this.
    Good teachers always reflect on their practise on a day by day, week by week, year by year basis, and this is just getting you into the habit. The difficulty is that if you don't note things down, you will find it difficult to pinpoint key moments down for your assignment. My assignment was easy to write because I just copied from my diary.
    I started to keep mine electronically but this became impractical so in the end I kept it electronically and in a notebook. I also used post-it notes and just stuck them into my notebook. You should also be reflecting on your week at your weekly mentor meetings, but this assumes these take place and are timetabled. I found we just chatted and reflected daily in a more informal way as we went along rather than having timetabled, structured meetings - it just worked better for us this way.
    And yes it can be used as evidence - particularly good for the reflective standards and taking responsibility for development and CPD but you can also find other gems in there too :)
    Some reflections will be long and detailed others will be short and perhaps contain notes or just four or five words :) There are no hard and fast rules. Find what works for you.
    Hth

11. Obviously I know practise is a verb and practice is a noun..... but I still mix them up when I type quickly LOL and this only gives you 2 mins to edit..... I struggle to proof read in this box because I can't see everything I have typed.
    Forgot to add - enjoy the process folks - I wish i could do it again :)

12. Hi
    I'm with Chester University and we have been told to reflect on our first 2 weeks, either as a whole or as two individual reflections
    For my first weekly reflection I talked about an inset I had attended on Behaviour Management and how helpful I thought this would be in the run up to entering the classroom! I left the reflection open saying I would reflect again further down the line to see if I had been able to put any of the tips into practice!
    My second reflection was on the value of observing other professionals and how it will help me become a better practitioner.

Hope this helps - Good Luck to all - I'm trying to get my head around the tasks at the mo, slightly stressed by it all.

Keep smiling

Jo[​IMG]

13. I am hoping to to a GTP next year and currently work as an antenatal educator. My training was very hot on on reflective practice. If you're stuck, look at the wiki page on 'reflective cycles' and choose one that works for you. The very basic one is 'what, so what, now what?'

That could mean - what did you discover - or what happened. Then you ask yourself the implications of it - that's the 'so what' bit - why does it matter etc - and where your examination of the implications will take you - ie now what.

So if you've taught a session and something's gone well, or badly, you can apply it. I taught about pain relief in labour (say). The clients looked bored and at the end one of them said 'so what's an epidural again... so what - I didn't achieve my aims or learning outcomes,, how did I know that, what could I have done differently... etc etc.

Gibbs is a good reflective cycle, too. I like that you have to put things into context with Gibbs.

Hope that helps

Kedi

(PS Does anyone know why my messages fail to show up my new paragraphs? Is it because i'm using Safari rather than IE?)

14. Hi
    I am doing my GTP with EM Direct and we have to write a reflective journal everyday. What kind of things are you doing? If your not in a school yet I imagine it is impossible - unless you are doing lots of reading around your subject, national policies and the national curriculum (I guess you could reflect on this?)
    I dont include everything, you just need to include things that are worth reflecting on e.g. if you observe a good behaviour management strategy in a lesson or you have a meeting with your mentor and you discuss something of importance like assessment or school policies and the roles of key staff. By 'important' I mean - something that can hit one of the 33 standards that you have to show evidence for. Its not a personal/emotional log so it should be written professionally.
    I hope this makes sense, sorry if I have confused you further!! :)
    Bex