1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reflecting on what helps you make the final decision to move.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by BYusuf, Sep 12, 2016.

1. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Relief means you made the right decision, rosiecg.

You have time for a plan to fall into place for January. Are you thinking of a UK return?

2. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Yes probably returning to the UK, although I'm open to any ideas at this point! I have an idea for a business and would like to be nearer family and friends, so I'm thinking back to the UK and teach for a while so I have time to sort a business plan etc.

3. CaptainTuttle

CaptainTuttle New commenter

If I resign this week, what date do I need to put on my resignation? I know I've missed the deadline to leave this term so does that mean I have to stay until Christmas? So miserable and stressed, I'm not sure I'll last that long!

4. BYusuf

Hi CaptainTuttle,

Your resignation date will be 31st October 2017. And yes, you will have to leave at Christmas.

Potentially, this will also give you time to secure another role that you can step into from January.

What support are you receiving for the stress you are experiencing?

5. CaptainTuttle

CaptainTuttle New commenter

Hi BYusuf, I don't want another role for January. I went through this 5 years ago and promised myself I'd never do it again... stupidly though I thought I'd found somewhere I could be happy. Unfortunately I'm not qualified for anything else that will cover my mortgage so will have to go for supply roles and hope it's enough.

As for support, I'm having meeting with SLT where they express concerns and lesson observations that are never good enough- really helpful stuff.

6. salsera

salsera New commenter

Just found this thread .. I have just handed in my notice. I know I can't leave until December 31st but it's time for me to go. I have nothing to go to and know it will be difficult to find a job. I have been teaching for 25 years and have decided that my sanity health and happiness is far more important than the job. Some of the reasons I am leaving are:
    - Mismanagement (crisis managament) of my department by SLT and them not thinking things through in spite of me trying to seek solutions that benefit the students. This has meant I have watched the staff numbers reduced in my department by half, class sizes increase, split classes for teaching, no 6th form teaching of my subject area .. and I am a pool 2 subject head.
    - Frustration with constant poor behaviour from students - and this isn't minor disruption but them expressing their opinions of me loudly to the class on numerous occasions; five individual allegations of assault made by 5 students against me over a period of three years (never had it in any schools previously) - all of which are totally unfounded; a student who "stalked" me in school which stopped but he has now started seeking me out outside of school ..
    - feeling totally undervalued in spite of me knowing I am a more than a good teacher who had the respect of my colleagues and my students
    - being totally shafted with regards to timetabling
    The list goes on and on - and so now I am about to jump ship - I am totally and utterly demoralised, exasperated and frustrated ... :(:mad:

7. BYusuf

Hi CaptainTuttle,

Depending on your subject, supply roles may help to cover your mortgage then again they may not. Undertaking supply through an agency will reduce your overall take home pay. Another option is for you to approach schools and offer your services directly for long term supply.

Private tuition alongside supply could help to increase your take home pay.

Are your primary or secondary based?

The 'help' you outlined is no doubt the cause of your stress.

Do you want to stay in teaching or are you looking to do something completely different? Would you consider working in a school part time to free you up to pursue other options?

8. BYusuf

Hi salsera,

I don't know how long you have worked where you are, however sounds like you deserve a medal for having stuck with it.

The most alarming aspect of what you shared were the 'stalking' and accusations of the students. I hope that you have sought advice about the appropriate action to take regarding the stalking.

Are you aiming to secure another teaching role for January?

9. salsera

salsera New commenter

BYusuf,
    I have been here for five years and teaching 25 in total. The accusations were dealt with thoug I was not kep in the loop at anytime and lived life on the edge - feeling sick, watching my back.
    As for teh stalking - I logged all concerns and then when the student just appeared at my classroom door after school oen day I knew it had to go further. The outside school incidents are more recent and I have reported it and to the student's parents too, who are supportive.
    As for securing a role - nothing comes to mind yet. Might just leave teaching totally as it's worn me down so much that I feel totally demoralised and under-valued.
    Thanks

10. BYusuf

Hi again salsera,

I am glad to hear that you have taken the stalking further and that the student's parents are supportive. Experiencing that on top of what you face within school makes it easier to understand why you are thinking of leaving teaching.

I also know what it is like to feel demoralised and undervalued. Sometimes working in another school that openly recognize and value what you have to offer can make a huge amount of difference.

It also sounds as though you just need to take a break to reassess your options and have the time to consider what you could do. This time of the year is an extremely tough period to consider alternative plans especially after what you have been through. When the time is right, it may be of benefit to seek face to face support with someone who could help you explore possible options and gain fresh perspectives after being ground down. Even though nothing yet springs to mind, there are possible options. For example, many start up Ed Tech companies are keen to work with teachers to gain insights as to what could work within a class / school context. You could work in within charity, work as a consultant, work within youth organisations and so on. The key would be to identify your strengths as an educator and gain clarity about what really interests i.e. teacher development, coaching etc.

11. ld7675

ld7675 New commenter

Just being offered a job elsewhere and the positive feedback you will get in another environment will help you. I am beginning a new role in September and already have had a very supportive induction and even staff helping sort my new classroom which has really helped me to ignore the more toxic aspects of the school I have left.

BYusuf likes this.
  12. BYusuf

Hi Id7675,

First of all, many congratulations to you! Here's to many successes in your new role.

Secondly, thank you for sharing your own positive experiences after the toxicity you had faced within your previous school. There are always schools that value what we have to offer and I am glad to hear that has been the case for you.

Have a great summer break,
    B

13. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

Good advice, but in my case the reason for leaving was exhaustion. I knew I had to move on, but I was simply too tired to look for another job properly. I did manage it eventually however, but it was not easy.