1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reflecting on what helps you make the final decision to move.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by BYusuf, Sep 12, 2016.

1. ld7675

ld7675 New commenter

Tipping point came today. I feel that I have no autonomy at all and feedback from a lesson observation which was over negative is now the decider. When I queried whether there were serious concerns about my performance I was told no it's all positive so why rip apart my judgement including my seating plan. I am an adult. I feel it's time I found somewhere I can be treated like one.

2. ld7675

ld7675 New commenter

I really like your outlook it's very healthy!

3. oggs26

oggs26 New commenter

1.Which indicators help you to recognise when it’s time to move on from a particular role / school.
    Mine has been end of contract, becoming homesick and then dread of returning after pregnancy. I was offered redundancy and and took it. Didn't look back.

2. How you decide that it is best to stay put in spite of wanting to move on.
    The children biggest influence and if i'm making a significant difference to them.

3. What you have done if you have put things in motion to move on, yet later realised that it was the wrong decision.
    It hasnt been

4. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Senior commenter

I've been at my current school for seven years having done a similar stint at another before this.

I was promoted in the last couple of months to the SLT as a CPD opportunity by the Head. However, it's temporary until the end of academic year. A SLT job came up with a school I worked for under a year before I trained to be a teacher.

I'm intrigued by the post and think I would be a good fit having looked at the details. But it would mean having a conversation with the Head and I'm unsure about applying because there could be a permanent role where I am now in the coming months.

1 The uncertainty about my current role for September
    2 There may be another role that will come up in my present school. I am settled here having been around for a while
    3 The bit that hasn't happened yet - any thoughts as to what I should do?

5. laylar

laylar New commenter

Go for it!

6. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

I work in an international school in Asia. I'm trying to decide whether to stay for the full 2 years of my contract or return home after one year... The main difficulty in deciding is that we have to give six months notice, to coincide with the last day of term. This means that in order to leave at Christmas (well, end of November), I would have to give notice before the end of May. I've only been here four months, so this is a tricky one to weigh up. We're due to get a new principal and head of primary in August, so the school could become a very different place..... Tricky tricky!

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

colleagues. They stand around me in a ring and all invite everyone else to the pub and leave me out. I don't even want to go, but this treatment is isolating and humiliating and has happened repeatedly. I would stay longer and see if working with the children gets any better, if I felt any warmth or friendliness coming from colleagues. I got on very well with the colleague I worked closest with, but they left at Easter. Funny, my previous department still text me and invite me to the pub occasionally, as do the one before.

8. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben New commenter

Personally, when I can't see a clear opportunity for me to progress in my career and make that final step to SLT.

Landofla likes this.
  9. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

You know what dunnocks? Leave if you can. I've been here before and its such a crummy feeling.

I'm agonising whether to see what September brings or just jump and see what happens with supply myself. My reasons for staying are dwindling as the colleagues I love leave in constant waves because of academy meddling and micro managing. I just hate being new so much, you never know what you are walking into in schools, and boy have I had some bad ones in the past
    I'm miserable because after finding my school a few years ago I was so happy, its by far the best i've worked in

BYusuf likes this.
  10. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi rosiecg,

As you said with a new principal, things could be very different.

However, what has happened now that is making you consider whether or not you should leave in November?

Are things better / different enough for you to stay on to see what the new principal implements?

11. BYusuf

Hi rouseau22,

True you never know what you are walking to when you arrive new to a school. Does that outweigh how you are feeling where you presently are?

12. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

I don't know.
    I know I should try somewhere else but boy have I walked into some nightmare schools (The kind that send you looking for Gardening Leave's advice on the TES!)

The thought of seeing what September brings at my school gives me the Sunday night sick feeling times a million. But then, although I have done supply before and liked some aspects, there's the feeling of not belonging that gets me down. That and the mysterious timetable coincidence where I always end up on outside duty in minus temperatures.

Funnily enough though, it was this school, the one i'd loved so much that saw me diagnosed with anxiety. Thanks school!

Honestly I wish I could chuck it all in and run away

13. rosiecg

The whole ethos of the school/umbrella organisation goes against my personal views. I'm torn because I have the opportunity to save a lot of money here, as well as the obvious benefits of cheap and frequent travel to exotic places and low cost of living.

14. BYusuf

Hi rosiecg,

I see. I guess it therefore boils down to which is the greater priority for up to another year - reigning in your own personal views or saving money / travelling to exotic locations.

15. rosiecg

I've done it. I've just handed in my notice to leave.

BYusuf likes this.
  16. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

Just an update for everyone,

I went for an interview at a lovely little school recently. The head was lovely and the school's ethos couldn't have been any more in step with my own.
    I got the job and handed in my notice on Wednesday!

17. rosiecg

18. BYusuf

How are you feeling? What was the deciding factor for you, rosiecg?

rlthomas likes this.
  19. BYusuf

Wonderful to hear, rouseau22 :)

20. rosiecg

@BYusuf it was an immediate feeling of relief followed by doubt, because I don't have a plan for January. But I'm sure that will work itself out.

BYusuf likes this.