1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reflecting on what helps you make the final decision to move.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by BYusuf, Sep 12, 2016.

1. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

During the academic year, it is not unusual to hear colleagues wonder about whether or not their present role / school is where they should remain. This will be due to a number of reasons including the length of time spent in a particular school, the changing nature of roles / responsibilities or changes in school leaders.

With this in mind, it will be interesting to discuss:

1. Which indicators help you to recognise when it’s time to move on from a particular role / school.

2. How you decide that it is best to stay put in spite of wanting to move on.

3. What you have done if you have put things in motion to move on, yet later realised that it was the wrong decision.

I look forward to your thoughts.

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Hello there, in the past the lack of potential for promotion has helped me decide when to move, as has relocation for my partners job. On one occasion I was persuaded to stay with incentives like training and more responsibility and back then support so that I could concentrate on my role and not the other things that became attached to it.

Some people say it is unhealthy to stay in one school too long and to some extent I agree that it is good to get a variety of experiences in a number of different types of schools, e.g not spend the majority of your career in a single sex school for example as it may be more difficult to get a job in a co-ed school later. Just as it is a good idea to get a breadth of experience teaching different ages and levels within a school.

-Sarah-, grumpydogwoman and BYusuf like this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'll stay as long as I enjoy going to work in the morning. When that stops, it's time for a new job.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Established commenter

When you start a new job with new responsibilities, you have a list of things you want to do, Some might be part of the appointment process where the HT says that they need someone to sort out a particular issue; some will be your own decision. After a time you'll have achieved most of these things, but will know that you won't achieve the others. It's at this point that you start time-serving; you now need new challenges and your job needs new blood to move it forward. I think this applies in schools and also beyond them in other settings. I was interviewed long ago at a school which had a policy that all posts of responsibility were time-limited, including the HT. At the end of that time, you either reverted to classroom teacher or were offered a different post of responsibility. No idea how that pans out because I didn't get the job, but the idea seems at least an interesting one.

-Sarah-, grumpydogwoman and BYusuf like this.
  5. BYusuf

Hi needabreak,

On the occasion where you were persuaded to stay, were you happy that you had? Were the support promises fulfilled?

Many people do say that it is unhealthy to stay for a long period of time in one school. There have been a few instances when I have seen this actually work for staff who joined as NQTs and subsequently became HTs of their school. I totally agree that it is healthy to gain a wide range of teaching experiences especially during the present educational climate when things change so rapidly.

I have recently changed schools. The key indicators that make me realise that I need to move on is when I no longer enjoy what I do and when I no longer feel that I am developing in my role.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. BYusuf

Hi Flere-Imsaho,

That's it in a nutshell! :)

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. BYusuf

Hi Skeoch,

You raised valid points about the completion of specific aspects within roles that have responsibilities attache, indicating time for a change. It is interesting to hear about the school policy you mention also relating to the HT. In terms of the time-limit, how long was it for the various responsibilities? My previous school provided 3 year associate Senior Leadership Team roles while all other leadership roles were not time limited.

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I get a new set of children every year and for most of my career the government has seemed keen on giving me a new curriculum or exams to deal with. I can't say I need any more challenges than that!

TCSC47, galerider123, -Sarah- and 8 others like this.
  9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I'd agree-but sometimes that can be difficult to put into practice due to bills!

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Some people will always need to move jobs for various personal reasons, but if teaching became respected again, as it once was, we'd probably find MOST people would stay in a job for a decent length of time.

I'm not saying everyone thinks like this today, but there have been numerous posts on here suggesting that some people think it's 'weird/unambitious/shows a lack of intelligence' if a teacher does choose to stay loyal to his/her pupils/community/does not want to become SLT.

Back when teachers were professionals who made their own decisions (within reason) rather than having to follow policies like robots, SLT worked with us and genuinely respected us rather than looking down on 'basic' classroom teachers, and heads seemed to have more discretion about varying roles/internal promotion, most teachers did stay and became known and respected by their local community.

berniefoyle, -Sarah-, ld7675 and 2 others like this.
  11. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It did indeed work, I was given the opportunity to attend quite substantial training and was included in meetings that were looking at wider aspects of school development, it genuinely contributed to my career development, not just the role at the time; there was an understanding of the way forward and this was clear on both sides. I was still free to seek promotion elsewhere although I had established a sense of loyalty to that organisation as they were looking at how best to keep me motivated and utilise my skills within the school. It was at that time when after a number of years you could do your job with your eyes shut and the repetition of it all warrants variety to keep you motivated... not more of the same or job enlargement more like job rotation.

12. Skeoch

Skeoch Established commenter

It's a long time ago so I'm not absolutely sure any more. Might have been 7 years. This was a big boarding school where House staff were almost always internally appointed. So someone might be appointed HoD or something and then move to a House; then perhaps a SLT role in a longish career in same school.

13. BYusuf

Out of genuine curiosity, when do you feel was the time in which teachers were looked upon as professionals?

14. Jac27

Jac27 New commenter

Today made me decide it was time to move on. My professional judgement was questioned twice without recourse to justify my decisions and I was told I'd made an incorrect judgement on a child I hadn't even observed. (I'm EYFS) When I pointed this out they just walked away. My role has been changed this year due to a period of long term sickness last year but I just don't feel valued in the same way any more. If I was dithering up to now about staying or going, today made the decision for me.

ld7675 likes this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I decided to leave a job at a school I loved in a department which was really good fun to be in because I finally realised that I just couldn't get on with the person we had had foistered on us as head of my subject for a minute longer.

moiz_k and hammie like this.
  16. BYusuf

Why is that?

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

1. Which indicators help you to recognise when it’s time to move on from a particular role / school.

2. How you decide that it is best to stay put in spite of wanting to move on.

3. What you have done if you have put things in motion to move on, yet later realised that it was the wrong decision.

Good question btw.

1. I don't work on indicators. It's always impulse. I just think one day, "Had enough. I'm outta there."

Why I left my five 'major' schools:
    1 wanted a shorter commute
    2 got pregnant
    3 behaviour was appalling
    4 moved area
    5 thought the writing was on the wall vis a vis micro-management and retired

2. Have never stayed put that much. Once I get the idea in my head I tend to act on it.

3. Never made a wrong decision. Or never DWELT on a wrong decision. Make the best of things until you fancy a change and then make the best of the new situation.

18. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

For me, when the "white noise" of the inevitable irritations of working in a school becomes loud enough to interfere with my enthusiasm and performance, it's time to move on.

hammie and KarlaBS like this.
  19. userunknown

userunknown New commenter

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  20. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

must agree, when its time, you know!
    usually down to management changes from the ones I signed for. Invariably added to by a lack of trust in teachers to do their job, resulting in too much time analysing to the nth degree taking time away from teaching and learning.