1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Referring to 15 and 18 certificated films in the classroom

Discussion in 'English' started by thequillguy, Feb 16, 2012.

1. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Hello all

One thing I've tried this half-term is to have the students link the learning objective to a film (usually via showing a trailer.) So, for example, linking the idea of Paper 1 analysis with Inception.

Of course, I'm find that my knowledge of PG films is rather limited. Therefore, I would find referring to some 15 and 18 films might allows a wider scope of what I can refer to.

My judgement is that if a teacher referred to Godfather, or the Shawshank Redemption to my kid in Year 7, I wouldn't be too upset. Nightmare on Elm Street or the Saw series would be going too far. What do you think though? Don't refer to any films that aren't certificated? Or use my judgement? Just to be clear, they would only see a trailer.

2. Slightly thin ice using your own judgement potentially. Don't trailers have their own separate certification? You could use only PG/age appropriate trailers using this as your justiication.

3. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Thinking about it a little more, if the trailer of a film is certified for a certain age, then I wouldn't bother. Might just explain the premise (in such as way as to relate to the L/O's themes) and play the soundtrack while they discuss. My issue is that I've only found the IMDB top 500 films, and most are (of course) 15 and 18 certificated! Does anyone know of a list of child-friendly films?

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Have a look at the filmclub website. I run filmclub at school, and we have access to a hige range from there - none of which is above a 15.

5. Why do you need to refer to films at all? Just explain the LO (if you really must, if only to appease Ofsted et al) and then get on and teach the kids something.