1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Referral to Occupational Health & Sick Pay entitlements

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bethebestyoucanbe, Nov 18, 2019.

1. bethebestyoucanbe

bethebestyoucanbe New commenter

Hi there,

I have taken a sick note for work stress due to constant harassment, scrutiny and bullying by my HT. They are now planning to refer me to OH. Can I possibly decline? If I attend, any thoughts on what to tell OH?

I know the Burgundy book stipulates 50 working days full pay during the second year of service. Does this second year refer to years with current employer or total number of years in service including previous employers?

2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

OH are totally neutral
    They have criteria by which to judge the effect your stress is having in your work and come up with solutions.

if you are under stpcd (burgundy book) then normal sick leave applies

grumpydogwoman and agathamorse like this.
  3. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Ask your union about your exact entitlement

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you are under Burgundy Book conditions (are you?) then it refers to your total time teaching in LA schools. And years of service start in April, and if you start during such a year, it is the same as if you were there the whole time. If it is relevant, I suggest that you download the Burgundy Book and read the relevant section, as there are a lot of details about such things as how holidays are treated.

5. bethebestyoucanbe

Thanks for your comment. I am under the Burgundy book. I work in an academy. Would this be classed as LA school?

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I thought the Burgundy book applied only to LA schools. Academies don’t operate under the same conditions necessarily.

7. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@50sman OH are PAID by the employer and as such can not be totally neutral. Perhaps they are when they are connected with LA schools and it's the LA's OH, but anyone paid by an academy is 'controlled' by an academy.

A visit to OH is used by employers to 'show they care.' It is one of the things to tick that was done i.e. on 1st December I sent Cat to OH because I was concerned for her well being.

OH can be a positive or negative thing. You should go to OH appointments as it is seen as being proactive in getting better. Also go to your GP at the same time and state you are off work for stress. If needed your GP can state you were stressed at the same time just in case the OH says differently. Be very careful what you say e.g. you are thinking about taking legal action etc as they can report it all back. And always request that any report written about you for the academy is seen, corrected and okayed by you first. Whether that is done or not, is another thing.

bethebestyoucanbe and bajan like this.
  8. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

And read what it says in your sickness absence policy.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is confusing. Some (many?) academies use the Burgundy Book, which makes things clear for most things. However, the sick pay section says that service in LA schools is used to decide how much sick pay you are entitled to, so it would appear that it is only such service which counts, rather than service at schools adopting the Burgundy Book. It might be worth unions discussing this with individual schools. Of course, this only affects teachers who don't have four years' LA service at some time in their careers, so many older teachers would be OK.

10. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

You're right, however,
    Academies van choose to follow it.

11. bethebestyoucanbe

Thank you for this.