1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Referendum

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ezmparsons, Feb 22, 2016.

1. ezmparsons

ezmparsons New commenter

I am after some idea on what schools are doing with regard to the referendum. I know we only got the date over the weekend so this is very new. I just wondered with the media campaigning that will be going on, discussion that will happen at home, what are school considering for the pupils in regard to teaching about the referendum, implications, possibilities, staff's personal views etc.
    The issue with migration is sensitive as it is, there will be masses of stuff going round over the next 4 months, I think we need to share ideas on how schools/ teachers might deal with this.
    I know I don't fully understand it, so the pupils will also end up being confused especially for the older pupils year 10-13.
    We would be naïve to believe they won't hear about it, be affected etc., an the result will have an impact on their future, especially if the vote swings to leave the EU.
    Thoughts ideas, collaborations. Everything is very welcome, Throwing this out there

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Given that this happens during the GCSE/A Level exam season, I'm not sure that too many secondary schools will want or be able to do much on this. I'd also (were I still teaching) want against any colleague giving their 'personal opinion' anywhere except in the staff room.

3. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

I asked my year 10's what they thought about the referendum. They replied that we should stay in Europe because we have more chance of winning it than the world cup!

JL48 likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am surprised that David Cameron has not come up with this one yet. No doubt he wil eventually.

5. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Well, as teachers and professionals, we have a duty to tell the kids the truth. It's not just about the subjects that we teach, but about guiding them and giving them skills for later life.

Therefore we must explain tthat we were not allowed to join what was the Common Market to start with by De Gaulle who was historically one of Britain's worst enemies, that when we were eventually allowed in after a despicable display of begging by the weakest and most ridiculous Prime Minister the country has ever seen, Edward Heath, we were tricked out of our fishing rights. We tell them that we have paid billions into the CAP to benefit inefficient French farmers and corrupt Italian olive growers, that the EU budget is so flawed and badly managed that the auditors have been unable to sign it off for over twenty years and that the only people who really benefit from the EU, apart from bent industrialists, builders and farmers are the highly-paid and unelected bureaucrats and judges and those who have links to them. We must then mention the politicians and hangers-on, many who failed in their own countries (Kinnock and wife, for example) but who have made a rich living on expenses flying between Brussels, Strasbourg and their home country, with duty-free allowances that ordinary people like us have had removed. And finally, we point out that Britain has gained not one single thing from the EU that it could not have gained outside the EU, with the exception of a lot of scroungers who have come to fiddle benefits. Then we ask them to get into their groups and list all the things that we could have done with the >£10bn a year net that the whole scam has cost us.

Cross-cultural, factual and clear. Outstanding! :)

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

And an interesting way to hand in your notice.

During the Scottish referendum we had parental complaint whenever anyone broached the topic, no matter how clear and unbiased the teacher though they had been. Even the official "mock referendum" for school pupils had to clear up all signs of campaigning as soon as it was over. To be honest that seemed a less heated debate than the EU seems to be in some areas. I would steer well clear.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

De Gaulle 'one of Britain's worst enemies'...Really? Hope you don't teach History...

8. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Maybe a bit of an exaggeration, I accept. :) But that he absolutely hated us and wanted to do us down is a most certainly a fact. I did Mod. Langs. and politics as a first degree and researched it quite intensively.

Vladimir likes this.
  9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

To be fair Churchill and Attlee were the main reasons we didn't join in the early days.

De Gaulle just kept us out, as he said that we were too proUS, and not into the whole European project. He did kind of have a point . . .

FrankWolley likes this.
  10. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

For the General Election, I think the Sixth Form held a mock election based on the real UK parties. Years 7 - 8 did election campaigns in English but they were not linked to any political parties (it was an activity based on the UK Parliament website, and very good too). In Year 9, they analysed the use of language and presentational features in three of the manifestoes (Con, Lab, Lib Dem).

For the EU referendum: I imagine the Debating Club will do something on it. It will be a good opportunity for Year 9, again, to look at persuasive language and presentational features based on the campaign material.

JL48 likes this.
  11. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Oh, I'm sure it is amongst all his other dishonest and underhand tactics. Luckily, every one he uses now backfires on him.

12. Vladimir

De Gaulle was also scared of us. He knew we'd dominate. There was a time to be in; now there's a time to be out. Only an idiot would stay in a building set to implode when the exits are clearly marked, wide open and within easy reach.

13. Vladimir

Will you be incorporating Collaborative Learning and Kagan structures?

14. Vladimir

And we let him march through Paris first after the war. We should have put his big nose out of joint and marched through first. How many did we lose fighting for his country, I wonder?

15. Vladimir

A bit extreme, but he was no fan of Britain. He was scared of GB too!

16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Where do you get this from?

Where and what do you teach?

17. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

A dodgy one - whatever your political persuasion.
    It was never the common market to start with. The Treaty of Rome talked about the European Communities and the aims of the European project right from the start. As did Monnet and Schuman.
    Actually Macmillan started the begging, and was told no. (largely by DeGaulle). Wilson then continued the begging in the 60s, and was again told no. Heath was just the last in a line, and there was very little begging involved once he became PM.
    We were given the right to sell them. We did, made a packet, and then moaned that the people we had sold them to were using them. It's like buying your council house, selling it on and making a fortune, then moaning that you have been tricked out of your home.
    Although, clearly not very well. Bias is one thing, inaccuracy is another.

What was your second degree in?

18. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Wikipedia?