1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Referendum tale of two Tories leaves me cold

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Yoda-, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

JL48, Middlemarch and sabrinakat like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The Tories are so divided they need a national referendum to determine who is right.

Middlemarch, Yoda- and sabrinakat like this.
  3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Well the Grauniad would say that, wouldn't it?

I am certainly not a member of the latter category; I don't bark, don't like spotted dick and don't shoot animals but support Exit. Oh and I vote Conservative.

Seems the stereotypes don't quite fit...

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

They probably mean the Parliamentary party @GLsghost

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I'm not convinced...

Oh and I spend my working life practising law for the benefit of clients who could never afford to pay a lawyer in a million years.

;) Shhh...don't tell on me!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Grassroots_Out and lanokia like this.
  6. Grassroots_Out

Grassroots_Out Occasional commenter

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

They are tearing themselves apart...........but Labour are so divided and unelectable that they are making no capital on Conservative disunity

FritzGrade and ConvivialCatMan like this.
  8. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Perhaps there may be three sections? One nation seemed to be a popular idea before Maggie. Perhaps the others lost their mission of service to the nation and it became self service?

9. Grassroots_Out

10. Grassroots_Out

You forget that UKIP is also a party to be reckoned with. If it were not for UKIP there would be no referendum. Think on that!

11. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

The referendum would still have happened. It was a promise made to keep the Tory party together. I bet Dave didn't think he would have had to make good on it. He was surprised when he won the last election.

12. Grassroots_Out

I think we were all surprised! Now he's going to use every dirty trick he can think of to sabotage the out campaign. Why is that, do you think? Could it be that the people of the UK are sick of the EU and want independence again? I hope it all backfires on him.

13. Grassroots_Out

14. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Is it only me who is annoyed we are having this referendum AT ALL

IT IS NOT NECESSARY.

This is 2016, we should be beyond "little Englander" mentality.

The way forward is INTERNATIONAL co-operation, not trying to construct half ***** trade agreements if the worst happens.

Grrrrrrrr

16. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Labour seems more divided than Conservative at the moment.

The Guardian is an awful paper. I avoid it.

burajda and Grassroots_Out like this.
  17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm not sure many would agree with you on this - as a matter of simple fact.

jacob and Yoda- like this.
  18. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

It was just an observation Frank; hence my use of the word 'seems' :) I certainly will not pretend to be a political expert, but the party does appear fractured between Corbynites and non-Corbyn supporters. To be fair, I think that is true of the voters as well.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think in any large organisation you are going to get divides and camps... certainly been the case in every school I've worked in... SLT vs. those who do the work for example [joke for those of you on SLT]

At the present moment the divisions in the Tory Party are on show for everyone to see. After the referendum they will act like all is healed in public. Though I do wonder what the referendum will do to the electoral landscape for Cameron's successor. Look at what the Scottish referendum did for the SNP.

20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think it is refreshing the Conservative politicians are talking from the hip rather than the usual flock of sheep mentality of politics, where you back the leader and official line at all costs.

I don't see that as division, more healthy debate. For we know every party from far left to far right has differences within it. Hiding that from the public never works and leads to the deep suspicions we have about politicians.

Having said that, we must remember Cameron did all he could to stop this so I don't think it is a 'well done for being this way' endorsement yet. The hope is politicians will see they have nothing to fear from engaging with the public from a position of (their personal) truth.

badger_girl likes this.