1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by moomin4, Feb 17, 2020.

1. moomin4

moomin4 New commenter

Hi,

Need to get my head around references. I have a new head (started Sept 2019) who I feel barely knows me.

I know I can ask my old Head to be referee instead....but does she need to let my current Head know that I have asked for her to be a referee. Basically, would my current Head find out? I'm not trying to hide the fact I am applying for jobs, more not wanting to cause tension between myself and my current Head.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You can certainly ask your former Head to be a referee. Excellent idea, in fact.

But you must also ask your current Head.

Yes, the Head will not be able to write a reference based on knowing you well, so s/he will ask someone else - another member of SLT or a HoD - to draft it for her/him, and then sign it off.

The school that you are applying to will expect, indeed require, a reference from your current Head.

So gird up your loins and go and see the Head and tell him/her that you are applying elsewhere. It shouldn´t be a cause of tension. I much appreciate the opportunities for personal and professional development that I've had in this school, and working with such excellent colleagues. However, I now feel that the time has come to move on, so I shall be applying for appropriate posts, and, of course, as my Head, I shall need to have you as a referee. You and I haven´t worked together for very long, but the DHT John has, and also my HoD, so I am sure that they would be willing to cooperate with you on the reference

Talk to your HoD and to John first, of course!

Best wishes

agathamorse likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

You will need at least to 'ask' your Current Head just in case. Sadly, some hts do not know the names of their own staff these days and end up getting advice for the reference from someone below them and then sign it off. Whether you use your current ht or not, is your choice but many forms expect it and state it. If you do not then make it clear.

In the place where it states current head you might in brackets put 'Current Line Manager' plus their role. Years past I used someone else (Deputy) and was very open and honest about it. The ht then didn't know me. The Deputy could vouch for me and it was accepted.

Having said that - it is best to try and talk to your ht and put their name down. So, why not just send your ht an email request with a brief summary of what you have done? And your reason for looking?