1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cc2lwa, Oct 15, 2019.

1. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Just wondering if any has any ideas. The last school I worked for at, I had been at on and getting into the almost 3 years and left July 2018 quite amicably and moved on to a none teaching role. I was mainly teaching my own subject seemed to get along with the head of department fine, myself and the head exchanged a few friendly texts after I left, so when I sent a message to ask for permission to put them down for a reference, I thought it would be fine. However there was no response.

The reason I did this was because I am considering applying for an examiner role to make some extra cash next year. So my first message was ignored it seems, then I sent an email to the headteachers PA asking if they would pass a message to the head. This again has been ignored.

Has anyone been in this position? I was well known at the school, not a stranger to anyone there and it is slightly annoying that I am being treat this way. Does anyone have an suggestions?

2. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Please ignore my previous first post - I know it was unclear and didn't make much sense, it should have read:

I was just wondering if any has any ideas? I was at my last school until July 2018 on long term supply and I left quite amicably (I moved on to a none teaching role). I was mainly teaching my own subject and seemed to get along with the head of department fine. The head and I exchanged a few friendly texts after I left, so when I sent a message to ask for permission to put them down for a reference, I thought it would be fine. However there was no response. The reason I did this was because I am considering applying for an examiner role to make some extra cash next year.

So my first message was ignored it seems, then I sent an email to the headteacher's PA asking if they would pass a message to the head. This again has been ignored.

Has anyone been in this position? I was well known at the school, not a stranger to anyone there and it is slightly annoying that I am being treat this way. Does anyone have an suggestions?

pepper5 likes this.
  3. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

Yes, this has sadly happened to me at least twice now and is not completely uncommon, either - despite schools supposedly being examples of how to be "good citizens" etc.

In the end, I rang my union and they rang the school and gave them a gentle nudge. This might be an option for you to pursue. The reference was given the very next day.

bella2891 and pepper5 like this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

baxterbasic's tactic of calling your union is good.

However, if you are not in a union now, perhaps a traditional letter instead of an email may have more impact. You could start off the letter on a friendly note asking them how they are, and then explain that if they could give you a reference you would be grateful since it would help you get work.

This is the problem with supply and references.

I am sure, however, at some point they will reply.

agathamorse and BertieBassett2 like this.
  5. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

Obviously I wouldn’t give anti-GDPR advice but I got so fed up with a senior colleague not reading/replying to important emails that I started writing things like... if I don’t hear from you by a particular time/date, I will have done the thing I am asking permission for!

6. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Thanks so much for your support guys, nice comments from pepper5 - I will more than likely write a letter.
    It is just a shame that it comes to that - I counted the head of department as a friend, we often used to go for a bite to eat after work, I attended all parents evenings and gave full support to the department (there were only two of us at the time), yet they turn the cheek when it suits them and even the headmaster PA is the same.
    I am so disappointed - thanks for your advice all, have a lovely weekend!

pepper5 and DexterDexter like this.
  7. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

After all that! The head did get the email but shes on maternity leave, she apologised for the delay - messaged me and agreed to any reference request. I feel much better now.

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Exvellent news cc.

9. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Thanks pepper5