1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Anna3681, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Anna3681

Anna3681 New commenter

hi! Relocating for husbands job in January and will be looking to join the supply pile until next September. Now I have had a nightmare year (actually 5 years there) with a Bully Head Teacher, so this relocation has come at a good time. Can I put my deputy head teacher and a member of SLT to do my reference? Don’t want the HT to do a reference as she will be a pain especially with me leaving at Xmas and I haven’t handed my notice in yet! spoke to my union and they said she doesn’t need to be a reference. Thank you x

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is usually expected that the Head of your most recent school should give a reference. This is partly because only the Head will have access to confidential staff files and would know about any safeguarding issues.

Silly question perhaps, but if you are definitely going, why not give your notice in now? You have suggested that your Head will be upset by you leaving it until the last moment, so I can't see why you would want this to happen.

3. Anna3681

Anna3681 New commenter

She probably will be happy I’m going to be honest. She has wanted me out ever since she wanted a full time teacher (cheap NQT) in my class to have the deputy out of class full time. But I am waiting for a couple of things before I leave which will be here hopefully in a few days.

Piranha likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Your union were incorrect. You need to put your most recent headteacher as a referee.

Why do you need to do supply until July? You could look for Jan or Easter jobs.

DexterDexter and digoryvenn like this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Why not get a reference request in first at a Supply agency and before you give a hint of leaving? There are teachers at my old school who joined a Supply agency and worked for them whilst their main school was on hols.

Do ask your head to be your main referee and others to be second referees. Is the Head your line manager?

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Your current Head should be your first referee. References these days are factual, tick-box affairs - and if you think your Head wants you to leave, she is hardly likely to reduce your chances by giving you a ‘bad’ reference. The reference has to be factually accurate.
    If you don’t put your current Head down it could raise eyebrows and trigger communication or questions which might unearth the very things you hope will not come to light.

Piranha and mothorchid like this.
  7. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

When I left my first school I put my Head of Department as a reference and another teacher in my department as my second reference. I left out the Head Teacher as he, along with a member of SLT had bullied me and put me on a support plan.

I got the job with no questions asked about why the Head Teacher wasnt used as a reference. It could have been that I was only 2 years into my career and my second school might have assumed my HOD and mentor would be a better judge than a Head Teacher. I'm not sure.

For my current school (school 3) I did use the Head Teacher from my second school even though I hardly ever spoke to him and he had been fairly aggressive towards me also.

I think you can put your HOD based on my experience but most do tend to put the Head Teacher.