1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by jellylegs11, Mar 19, 2019.

1. jellylegs11

jellylegs11 New commenter

Good evening
    I have sent an application in for a headteachers post and have put my school advisor and current head as referees (I am currently deputy head). I've sent it off and my head has just told me that I should have put chair of governors and advisor. Is this right? What should I do if so? Should I email the school with the chair of governors details? Many thanks in advance.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

No, not in my opinion. There are no rules. But as Chair of Governors I have chaired several HT selection panels over the years, and discussed our expectations/procedures with senior LA HR advisors and consultants. None have said what your head has told you.

If someone is a serving Deputy I would consider a that a reference from their current head was essential. If they didn't name their current head it would be a matter of concern. After all, they know your work and capabilities better than anyone.

Traditionally if 2 references are asked for re a serving deputy one would be their current head and the other the school's LA advisor. With the growth of academies this "tradition" may not hold any longer, and it's not unknown for a Chair of Governors to give a reference. I'd still suggest another professional from outside the school who knows your work and strengths would be better though.

This may not be what you want to hear, but

(1) Didn't you ask your referees if they willing to be referee before you named them on your application form?

(2) Are you sure your current head thinks you have what it takes to be a headteacher? Your post makes me speculate that your head doesn't want to be named a referee because s/he won't give you a good reference. I'm not suggesting this applies to you, but we once had a reference from a head in respect of their deputy which read in totality "This person is wholly unsuited to be a head and I urge you not to appoint him". So do make sure your head is supportive. Better to find out now.

digoryvenn likes this.
  3. jellylegs11

jellylegs11 New commenter

Thanks for this. She is fully supportive of my move to headship as she knows that's what I've wanted to do for a while. I used to work in higher education in initial teacher training and came back to teaching to pursue headship and she's known this from the start. I've been open and honest with her. She's said she doesn't want me to leave but has supported me and allowed me to go on school visits etc.

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

No need to name the CoG at all - What you have done is fine.

If the school you have applied to requires any additional references, they will ask you for the details when/if applicable.

digoryvenn and jellylegs11 like this.