1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by skellig1182, Nov 8, 2017.

1. skellig1182

skellig1182 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    Someone told me that schools are no longer accepting long term supply references (6 weeks or more ) because of safeguarding. Is this true?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I am only answering to keep this "live".

I don't know.

Who told you? If your latest gig was on supply for a term? A school wouldn't accept references? I find that hard to believe.

Up.

3. TailwindTurner

TailwindTurner New commenter

I have not heard of this before and have been doing supply since end of Sept until end of this term with the offer of a reference. Where did your source see this?

4. skellig1182

I have a friend who is a head teacher and I said that I had been offered an ongoing role from now until the end of term, maybe longer. I said at least I could get a reference when I look for perm roles in the near future. He said that would be a major safeguarding issue as references need to be given to employed teachers by the school, not for the agency staff they have as they are not technically employed by the school.

I’ve always used them in the past and never had an issue. He said it’s a new thing. I had a reference from supplying at a school for 4 weeks...

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If post 4 is correct, there will be a large number of teacher positions unfilled quite soon...;)

Cooperuk and BelleDuJour like this.
  6. skellig1182

I think he’s wrong and just doesn’t realise how it works. Most schools wish to know a,b and c etc and a reference from a school where you supplied at long term can do just that.

7. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

In a way, I understand what the HT means.

Hypothetically, someone could work at St Cuthbert's from January 2017 to May 2017 and St Peter's from September 2017 to November 2017. A safeguarding issue happens at St Cuthbert's which the agency is aware of, but since the reference comes from St Peter's there is no mention of it.

However, where that theory comes unstuck is that the agency should not be sending a teacher with a safeguarding black mark onto another post and secondly, most teachers are registered with more than one agency anyway!

Most peculiar ...

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Mind you, if I was at a school for some time, even if employed though an agency, I'd ask the HT for a reference!

rolysol likes this.
  9. skellig1182

Yeah I’ve always put the head teacher and the agency just to make it easier all round.

10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

While SG is important, I think paranoia can creep in and the Heads attitude seems to convey this. The obvious solution is to put both the Head and agency as the reference.

rolysol likes this.
  11. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

scienceteachasghost is correct. HTs must take a reference from your last employer, and that is the agency - so a HT from a school you've been in is not enough, but HT + agency should be. It's important to confirm that there are no disciplinary or safeguarding concerns in your current employment, which the agency may know of.

Cooperuk likes this.