1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mrjack, Jan 27, 2016.

1. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

HI All,
    I have been in a nightmare job for the last three and a half years, the school is in special measures and I have been asked to do many things I am not contracted to do and been taken advantage of and it has been a miserable experience. I am now in the end game, I have had enough of this treatment and been vocal and outspoken ( just fighting my corner)
    The school was looking at redundancies this year ( large budget shortfall ) I have been suspended, five allegations, they are all pathetic and my regional union rep tells me there is no millage in any of them, they do however make things clear that they want me out and I cannot go back, I don't want to either.
    My concern is that after nearly a twenty year teaching career that my reference will be worthless. Is there any way round this ? My rep has talked of an exit strategy but in order to get the sizeable redundancy available it would not include a reference.
    How can I work around this when applying for jobs ?
    Thanks in advance

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Is this a local or a regional rep?

Because if you are being made redundant, there is indeed no agreed reference, but surely the Head will give a reference as for any colleague applying elsewhere?

You need this clarified. Is the Head refusing a reference?

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written...

Best wishes

3. MineField

MineField New commenter

I got a bad reference from my last school (the head falsely claimed that I had been subject to disciplinary procedures, when I hadn't been). 3 supply agencies have taken me on anyway, but I do have an excellent reference from the school I worked at prior to the school that wrote the bad reference. In fact, the agency said that even if I had been subject to disciplinary procedures, they'd have taken me on anyway, as long as I'd been honest about it. I teach a core, shortage subject, so don't know if that helped. I'm now working on a long term contract in a new school on supply, they think I'm wonderful (as has every other organisation I've worked for except the awful head who gave me a bad reference) and have agreed to write me a reference for any permanent job I apply for. Therefore, your way back in, may be to do supply, but be honest about everything, keep any letters you have about allegations etc, to prove your honesty, and if you have anything from your union in writing about the allegations having no mileage, then keep that as well.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thanks for that helpful insight, @MineField . Always good to hear of a successful outcome!

Best wishes

5. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

Thanks for that, I was kind of thinking that supply would be my way back in, I'm looking for International employment so it's a bit more of an Issue, I might even do some TEFL for a bit, they would then become my last employer I suppose !