1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by redmash, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hi.
    I'm currently looking for a job to start September.
    I have been working in my school for 18 months and they have been great and they will give me a glowing reference.
    Before this job I did supply and they could do me a reference.
    Before that (11.09-7.10) I worked in a school. There was a disagreement. My maternity contract was up and my Head offered me 2 days, took 2 weeks to change her mind and keep me hanging, then gave me 2 days with unreasonable terms. She didn't give me long to respond before giving me a letter saying that she had retracted the offer. I left after my contract ended. She is refusing references or ignoring them and she even gave my current head a bad reference over the phone.
    Prior to this contract I was at Uni and my 2nd placement has given me a glowing reference too, so it's just this one school that is a blip.
    Is there anything I can do to avoid giving that blip school as a reference without it looking odd?
    I'm worried that I'm going to go through another year without a permanent post because of this childish woman.

I have been observed and judged as a good teacher with potential to be outstanding. I have positive relationships with parents, children and staff. I'm a good teacher and I don't really want to leave teaching.

If she can't be avoided are there any suggestions about what I can do with a PGCE instead of teaching?
    Kind regards
    S

2. Hi.
    I'm currently looking for a job to start September.
    I have been working in my school for 18 months and they have been great and they will give me a glowing reference.
    Before this job I did supply and they could do me a reference.
    Before that (11.09-7.10) I worked in a school. There was a disagreement. My maternity contract was up and my Head offered me 2 days, took 2 weeks to change her mind and keep me hanging, then gave me 2 days with unreasonable terms. She didn't give me long to respond before giving me a letter saying that she had retracted the offer. I left after my contract ended. She is refusing references or ignoring them and she even gave my current head a bad reference over the phone.
    Prior to this contract I was at Uni and my 2nd placement has given me a glowing reference too, so it's just this one school that is a blip.
    Is there anything I can do to avoid giving that blip school as a reference without it looking odd?
    I'm worried that I'm going to go through another year without a permanent post because of this childish woman.

I have been observed and judged as a good teacher with potential to be outstanding. I have positive relationships with parents, children and staff. I'm a good teacher and I don't really want to leave teaching.

If she can't be avoided are there any suggestions about what I can do with a PGCE instead of teaching?
    Kind regards
    S

3. Then can't you just get 2 references from your current school?

I currently use my Headteacher and HoD. I'm sure references haven't been the reason I haven't got any of the jobs I've been for.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Redmash - your problem is that, loke many other peopple, you think that you have to give referees from different schools.
    Not at all!
    You must give your current Head, but can also give your Deputy Head, or the HoD or HoY or KS Co-ordinator that you work with best.
    Don't forget to read all the advice in the shortlisting clickables that are inside the Welcome thread - they really get results!
    Best wishes