1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MattB, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I am thinking of applying for jobs in Malaysia and the adverts ask for 3 references. In the UK when they ask for references you only need to put names, addresses of your references who are contacted at a later date. Is this the same when applying for jobs in Malaysia or do they actually want written references along with your CV and cover letter ?

2. I am thinking of applying for jobs in Malaysia and the adverts ask for 3 references. In the UK when they ask for references you only need to put names, addresses of your references who are contacted at a later date. Is this the same when applying for jobs in Malaysia or do they actually want written references along with your CV and cover letter ?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am not an expert on Malaysia, but I doubt that they want written copies ofd references, because they could, ahem, cough, cough, have been written by you! Employers like to write and get the references directly from the referees so that they can feel more confident that they are genuine.
    And I suggest that include fax and e-mail contact details, not just snail-mail addresses.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Thanks for your response. What you say makes a lot of sense. I was also a bit concerned about asking for a reference from my current school as i didn't want them to know i had applied for other jobs.

5. Hi MattB,

Why not ask them for clarification rather than risk not giving them what they might want?
    A number of Scottish authorities (where I apply for jobs) DO want references sent (by you), individually-written for the post you're applying for, so it seems quite likely to me that Malaysian schools might expect the same...

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Scotland is very much of a exception, mind you!
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars