1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by prepm, Oct 14, 2011.

1. prepm

prepm New commenter

Dear Theo
    I am applying for a FT teaching post at an independent school I have been working at for 3 years. During this time I have had a variety of roles including , supply, maternity covers, and now part time non-contact teacher.
    They have asked for a CV and have 6 selection criteria to be addressed in the written application.
    How long should I make the answers to the SC's? How old can example of teaching you refer to in the answers be?
    Who do you I put as references when I am applying? Can I put the current head?
    My last school was 4 years ago so not very relevant?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(Tip for next time - best to number Qs).
    Q1 Overall your answer to them should be about 2 sides A4 normal size type. So about 1/3 page each is my guess - but only a guess!.
    Q2 As old as you like, as long as they are relevant.
    Q3 Current line manager in the school for example.
    Q4 Probably Deputy better - but ask him/her (Head) if it is suitable. Some may agree
    Q5 A strong reference from 4 years ago would be fine.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!