1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Jessijane, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am writing this post again as I forgot to mention your name. Maybe this time I will be more lucky!
    In brief - I had been working as a TEFL Teacher for 2 years in Thailand mainly with young children (Nursery and Reception). I thoroughly enjoyed this experience and my Director of Studies advised me to return to Britain to do a PGCE. In 2003, I completed my PGCE Early Years successfully and as many other NQTs I had great difficulty finding a full time position. I found a temporary term job in a fantastic school and even managed an Ofsted Inspection -very stressful nevertheless. For the next school year as I couldn't find a job I was obliged to work as a supply teacher which was very demoralizing mentally and financially especially considering that I was living in Oxford! I therefore decided to leave the UK and I found a full time teaching position as an Early Years Teacher in a bilingual private school in France.
    The school was completely different from my previous experience - they had never heard of the Foundation stage for a start and the teaching methods and resources were nothing like I had experienced in the past. I had to work during the school holidays as an English Teacher and was not paid extra. Again I was demoralized and financially as I was living in the South of France I could not make ends meet. I therefore decided to apply for other jobs and 3 weeks before the end of the school year I found a secretarial job where I was earning almost double without the stress. I have been in the same job for 4 years but now I want to move on and leave France. I have decided to move to Brazil and would like to go back to teaching in a proper school. I really miss the rewarding side of teachong which I experienced in Thailand.
    I have done a lot of research and there are a few international schools which appear to be excellent and I would like to apply. My issue is that I do not know what to do about References. My current boss is more than happy to give me a reference although the company is nothing to do with teaching. The last school that I worked in was the one that I mentioned previously and as I left the school 3 weeks before the end of term the Head was furious. I cannot ask her for a reference.
    Can you advise me on what to do including the fact that I have not been teaching for 4 years?
    I feel that I still have a lot to offer as a Teacher and I do have a lot of other things to offer thanks to my international and TEFL experiences.
    Please advise.

2. Dear Theo,
    I am writing this post again as I forgot to mention your name. Maybe this time I will be more lucky!
    In brief - I had been working as a TEFL Teacher for 2 years in Thailand mainly with young children (Nursery and Reception). I thoroughly enjoyed this experience and my Director of Studies advised me to return to Britain to do a PGCE. In 2003, I completed my PGCE Early Years successfully and as many other NQTs I had great difficulty finding a full time position. I found a temporary term job in a fantastic school and even managed an Ofsted Inspection -very stressful nevertheless. For the next school year as I couldn't find a job I was obliged to work as a supply teacher which was very demoralizing mentally and financially especially considering that I was living in Oxford! I therefore decided to leave the UK and I found a full time teaching position as an Early Years Teacher in a bilingual private school in France.
    The school was completely different from my previous experience - they had never heard of the Foundation stage for a start and the teaching methods and resources were nothing like I had experienced in the past. I had to work during the school holidays as an English Teacher and was not paid extra. Again I was demoralized and financially as I was living in the South of France I could not make ends meet. I therefore decided to apply for other jobs and 3 weeks before the end of the school year I found a secretarial job where I was earning almost double without the stress. I have been in the same job for 4 years but now I want to move on and leave France. I have decided to move to Brazil and would like to go back to teaching in a proper school. I really miss the rewarding side of teachong which I experienced in Thailand.
    I have done a lot of research and there are a few international schools which appear to be excellent and I would like to apply. My issue is that I do not know what to do about References. My current boss is more than happy to give me a reference although the company is nothing to do with teaching. The last school that I worked in was the one that I mentioned previously and as I left the school 3 weeks before the end of term the Head was furious. I cannot ask her for a reference.
    Can you advise me on what to do including the fact that I have not been teaching for 4 years?
    I feel that I still have a lot to offer as a Teacher and I do have a lot of other things to offer thanks to my international and TEFL experiences.
    Please advise.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actually it's best to do as it says at the top: For a response on the Forums, type Dear Theo in the title of your message if you would like a reply from him. Otherwise I don't always get round to opening all the un-Theo-ed threads!
    I think that your situation is as follows:
    1) You have a PGCE, hopefully with QTS
    2) You have not completed your induction year
    3) You have taught for only one term in the UK, 6 years ago
    4) You taught for 2 years in a non-UK curriculum school in France, leaving before the end of term
    5) You have not taught for 4 years
    6) You have no education referees to give
    Hmn, rather tricky, the referee situation. My only suggestions are that in addition to your current employer you should give: a) the school 6 years ago where you taught for one term b) someone else from the school in France where you taught for almost 2 years.
    I will add that not being currently in teaching, and not having done your induction year, will put you at a bit of a disadvantage.
    Best of luck nonetheless!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!