1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Honeydew, Feb 11, 2011.

  1. Honeydew

    Honeydew New commenter

    Hope someone can help. I've decided to do supply after taking a year out of teaching. The agencies want a reference from the last school I worked in.
    I have given my last school's details and then found out from another colleague/friend who left about the same time (and this was confirmed when I rang the school) that the school Head and HOD have since left. I don't know the new head or new HOD. My friend said the school refused to give her a reference.
    Help! What shall I do? I have left messages for the Head and new HOD and they aren't replying. I get the feeling they are pretty busy and I'm the last thing they need.
    What shall I do? Any advice gratefully received.
  2. References have become a real pain in the obvious. I hope you have informed the agency that you know the head and HOD have left.
    I would try to get in contact with someone at the school you know (a mate) and have a chat about the new charactors, to get a bit of landscape.
    Then I would contact the agency and ask them if they have asked for a reference from the school and when.
    If you are convinced they have actually asked for the reference and nothng has come back. Then thinking hats on.
    The request is at the bottom of someones in-tray.
    Action - ask the agency to send another request but make sure they actually make the request.
    The head has refused to give a reference to the agency. If the agency confirms this then possibly a polite letter to the head stating your very difficult predicament.
    If they do not act after a reasonable amount of time. I would start looking at employment law and if you are in a union, then contact the union bods in your area.
  3. Incidently I have had referencing problems because a school closed and everyone went to the wind.
    I actually ended up tracking them down.
    So another possibility is to track down the HOD who knew you and left. They may be prepared to give a reference. I got away with this however I could play the card the school had closed,
    It has become a quagmire the referencing situation.

  4. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    I imagine the school might have a reference on file if you've asked for one before. Try contacting your ex-Head's PA/Secretary.

    Also, why not try to contact your ex-HoD, wherever they are? I have a retired colleague as one of my referees.
  5. Honeydew

    Honeydew New commenter

    Hi everyone - thank you for your replies.
    I have just received an email from my friend - it gets worse. She tells me that she has managed to contact the former HOD - but that the HOD said she can't give a reference because she is no longer an employee of the school. She said she will be her second referee (as a former colleague) but that the first referee has to be from her last place of employment/ from her last employer i.e. the school.
    Thanks for your advice guys.
  6. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    Try the Deputy Head?
  7. Hi - look on the TDA's website for a Return To Teach course. This will give you some recent experience and references. Some of these courses are being cut back, but you can always try. Good luck!

Share This Page