1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by MrSwansea7, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hello - new to this so not sure if I have posted this in the right section!
    Is there any law about schools keeping a copy of your references once you have been shortlisted and interviewed for a Job but didn't get? I have been interviewed for a number of jobs over the last year and would now like to see the references that have been written about me.

Do they have to keep them ? / Do I have a right to see them ? / Would the LEA keep a copy as some of these have been Deputy jobs.

Any advice really welcome

2. Hello - new to this so not sure if I have posted this in the right section!
    Is there any law about schools keeping a copy of your references once you have been shortlisted and interviewed for a Job but didn't get? I have been interviewed for a number of jobs over the last year and would now like to see the references that have been written about me.

Do they have to keep them ? / Do I have a right to see them ? / Would the LEA keep a copy as some of these have been Deputy jobs.

Any advice really welcome

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Is there any law? Yes, there is. The Data Protection Act.
    The question of whether employees are entitled to see references depends largely on whether the reference has been written by the employer, or received from someone else.
    An exemption in the Data Protection Act applies if a confidential reference has been written by the employer. In this case the employer does not need to pass on a copy, although it would probably be reasonable to do so, suggests the guidance, particularly if the reference is largely factual.
    However, if you hold a confidential reference that you received from someone else and you hold it in a way that means it is covered by the Act, you must consider a request for a copy under the normal rules of access.
    More information here: http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/references_v1.0_final.pdf

4. Thanks for the info - really helpful

Do school have to keep them for a certain amount of time or would they normally get rid of them if you didn't get the job ? I tried to get it once and asked the LEA advisor after he had given me feedback but was told they had already been shredded.

5. Yes we do have to keep applications for a period of time, can't remember fully, but I think, applications not interviewed is 6 weeks or so and interviewed a year, but my memory is shady, it all revolves around equal ops and fair practice.....

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

There is no law which governs this - only guidelines to which individual schools may or may not keep.
    The guide is 6 months for recruitment records and notes.
    See: http://www.irms.org.uk/resources/848