1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References - Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by coconut15, May 4, 2011.

1. My Fiancee and I both applied for jobs at a school in Asia. We clearly stated that it was a joint application.

Even though it was joint application, the school has requested a reference for my fiancee but I'm yet to hear anything. Should I be worried? Would they not ask for both references together? Would they ignore the fact it's a joint application and say that they "just want one?"

Any advice?

Thanks

2. My Fiancee and I both applied for jobs at a school in Asia. We clearly stated that it was a joint application.

Even though it was joint application, the school has requested a reference for my fiancee but I'm yet to hear anything. Should I be worried? Would they not ask for both references together? Would they ignore the fact it's a joint application and say that they "just want one?"

Any advice?

Thanks

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

It is very possible that they are only interested in one. Just because you have stated it is joint doesn't mean the school will like you both.
    Either they'll offer one post and take a chance on you splitting, or they'll offer you a lower salary as a tag on.

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

It is quite possible that they are primarily interested in your partner and have therefore taken up his references first.
    It is very unlikely that they would do this. Mister Maker is being mischievous. As usual.
    Some schools might just do this but not usually the reputable ones.

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Or perhaps they are not interested in you. It happens. It is not the end of the world.

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Perhaps a little impish. However, the reality is that as they are unmarried visas are going to be a problem in many locations if only one is offered a job. So, unless they want a long distance relationship, a decision would have to be made.
    I've made the point before that courting couples shouldn't plan working overseas together unless they intend to get married; whether one agrees with a countries traditions & laws or not, one has to respect them to work there. It may hold the career of the stronger partner behind if they insist on being tied together (not sure I agree with MissMuncie's view of international schools, in my experience even the worst don't presume the male is better and I've no idea if the OP is male or female).
    As to the tag on bit. I have seen this in even the better schools. There's a teacher you really want but who demands to come as a package. You don't really want the other but will give them something in order to the one you want. If the lesser of the two still represents a good investment they should pay according scale if they are 'reputable', but otherwise a local contract is more likely. In my own case, I have only hired couples when I like both of them, but I can see the value in offering some dog biscuits to someone you didn't want if it meant being able to hire the one you wanted. [​IMG]