1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References query

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by missied, Mar 23, 2016.

1. missied

missied New commenter

I'm currently applying for jobs and need to give my current employer as a reference - I know this is my headteacher. My current head has only been in post a few months so doesn't really 'know' me. From reading TheoGriff's posts it seems that the head would ask another member of SLT to write the reference if they are new to the school and therefore don't know the staff too well. The deputy head is on long term sick and the assistant head has also only been in post for 2 terms.
    The retired head is happy to be my second referee.

Would there be any value in adding an additional referee or would this be frowned upon?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Then the Head will ask the HoD or the KS co-ordinator.

No problem!

Best wishes

3. missied

missied New commenter

Thanks I'm in a junior school - the deputy is the equivalent of the key stage manager

4. install

install Star commenter

You can in this situation give your previous Employer (and explain why you have done this in brackets) . Your Head is new and does not know you.Or the Current Dep Head or Head of Govs-as you feel appropriate.

5. missied

missied New commenter

Thank you 'Install' ....think I'm overthinking it really!
    Will give an extra referee (previous school head) with a brief explanation why.
    'What will be will be'