1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

references protocol

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Dink_bird, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Dink_bird

Dink_bird New commenter

I've resigned from my HOD job because my school, and the HT in particular, have been very unsupportive and unprofessional. I won't go into detail, but I'm sure I can't trust the head to give me a decent reference (even though I've done nothing wrong) Since I put my resignation on his desk 3 weeks ago, (sadly he wasn't in at the time) he hasn't spoken to me at all, (despite seeing me in corridors!) and in fact, my job was advertised 4 days <u>before</u> a one line letter of acknowledgment appeared in my pigeon hole!
    Can someone advise please; do schools and supply agencies always automatically contact the HT for references? I've obviously <u>not</u> put his name on job applications as a referee, and instead I have other colleagues including the assistant principal, who will vouch for me. Any suggestions or comments gratefully received!

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Hi Dink Bird
    My understanding is that as part of safe recruitment practices all schools (state schools) require one of your referees to be your most recent head teacher.

3. Dink_bird

Dink_bird New commenter

Hmm, cheers Ruthie. I thought as much! The fact that he doesn't really know me (hasn't bothered to try!) and therefore shouldn't be in a position to comment is grating..

4. Dink_bird

Dink_bird New commenter

Thanks Zadok. I'm sure that's a good idea. From talking to people I understand he's not the only HT to carry on like this!!

5. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

6. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Whilst I agree with this, in reality asking a prospective employer NOT to request references can sometimes fast track your application to the reject pile, especially if they've got five million others to look through. Unfortunately the person with the power to give the reference according to their mood has far too much control over your future. Sometimes you have to risk putting them down - as Zadok says if the others are good they might see through it.
    Good luck :)

7. What do you do if you find out your last employer is a) not providing a reference and b) when pushed for one, provides a bland reference costing you an interview/job?