1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References... HT has left...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Sonia23, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Sonia23

Sonia23 New commenter

Hi all

Can someone advise me on where to get a second reference from?
    My last HT still works at the school so I can get a reference from her but my previous employer (HT) has left and there’s no way of getting in touch with her... who else could I ask for a reference...

TIA

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I had this trouble for a while - my last head left at the same time as me. I knew where he'd gone, but he was unresponsive to requests for references.
    Ideally, a reference should have been left on file at your last school, or the school should know where she now works so you can get potential new employers to contact her.

Sonia23 likes this.
  3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

In a secondary school, there might be a Head of Dept or of Faculty who could do this? Failing this, a KS leader or someone like that? A Head of Year or of House? SENCO? I'd assume there ought to be someone who is relatively senior who is still there.
    And include a brief note on the application form to explain the issue to the new employer.

Sonia23 likes this.
  4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

It's likely the receptionists or the current HT's PA could make the contact for you. Alternatively research the HT on LinkedIn or similar.

Sonia23 likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Is the school still there? If so one is head of it so name them. Heads give the reference as your employer, not as your personal friend. In large schools heads often have only the vaguest idea who some staff are, I suspect, but still sign off the reference. The reference will be based on your staff file, it shouldn't matter whether they know you personally or not.

6. Sonia23

Sonia23 New commenter

The school is there, it’s a one form entry school. I’ll try getting in touch and explain the situation to prospective employers.
    Thanks for your replies.

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Interesting question. Especially for me as we are on our third HT in 6 months. The first two rated me, the current incumbent does not, so how do I get a positive reference if I cut my losses and run for the hills.