1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References help?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by GCML, Feb 24, 2016.

1. GCML

GCML New commenter

Hi all,

I am currently filling in an application form for another school and would just like a bit of advice on who to put as my second reference? In a previous application, I put my University PGCE mentor (I am currently an NQT) as she knows me very well and has seen me teach a number of times. However, I was then told by another member of staff that I should have put my Head of Department down instead. Should I be putting my HoD?

Also, I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some advice on how to tell my Headteacher, now that I've decided I would like to apply to this position. I've read Theo Griff's blog post on telling the Head, but I am more worried as telling him about my last application did not go down so well! I have been told there is an expectation that NQTs will stay at their first school for at least a couple of years, but this job ticks all the boxes and is just too much of an opportunity to pass up. How do I explain this to him without inadvertently sounding like I'm saying negative things about my current school? The last thing I want to do is burn any bridges, as it is in no way a certainty that I will be handing in my notice.

Sorry to waffle on, but would really appreciate anyone's advice :)

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I can help with your first query - you should put your HOD as your second referee (first, obviously, being the headteacher). You're light years past putting your PGCE mentor once you start your first job! Not to put your HOD might even suggest to those receiving your application that you fear a poor reference from the very person who knows your work best.

As for telling the head - use Theo's advice. I know of none better. You'll just have to bite the bullet.

GCML likes this.
  3. GCML

GCML New commenter

Thank you!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Except, of course, for being the school in which you are doing your NQT induction and where you can consolidate in a known environment . . .

Very hard indeed!

You will need to start off with the compliments and how fortunate you are to be doing your induction year in a school that has offered great opportunities for personal and professional development, and with such helpful colleagues, a team that you much appreciate working with, etc.

So why on earth are you thinking of moving on? The best reasons to mention to this school are personal ones - nearer your ailing Mum, for example. (This, however, is the worst reason to give the new school - they don't wish to be convenient for you.) The only thing otherwise that you can say without offending too much is greater opportunity for wider professional experience . . .

I wouldn't be too impressed myself, to be honest, as a school invests in a NQT through mentoring, both formal and informal. They just get you into the swing of how they like to do things, and you go and up sticks so they have to start all over again with another wet-behind-the-ears NQT . . .

Just saying . . .

P.S. My computer wished to change mentoring into tormenting :)

Best wishes

5. GCML

GCML New commenter

There are a number of things that this vacancy can offer, in terms of professional experiences, that my current school (through no fault of their own) cannot; it has a Sixth form which will allow me to get into teaching KS5 and it offers me the chance of progression within the pastoral side of the school in their boarding houses (which I have always been keen on getting involved in). Would these be appropriately non-offending things to mention?

I do understand this, and it is the main reason why I haven't actively been applying for a large number of positions in other schools. This whole thing makes me very anxious, as I don't want to upset anyone and I know that I owe my current school for my NQT training, but this other school really is everything I've wanted in a school and I don't want to be sat here this time next year, regretting the fact that I didn't even try and get there :(.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, these are excellent!

Good luck

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nearly forgot - you have seen all te applications articles in the Professional Advice Hub?

Tag me @TheoGriff if not

Best wishes

8. GCML

GCML New commenter

Got myself an interview! Quite nervous, as it's my first interview at an independent school, but also really excited! Time to go and prep....

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Off to the interview articles then now! Well done for getting that interview, by the way - you have already impressed them @GCML !

Best wishes