1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References Hash up

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by pixiepie, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Hi TES-ers.

I went to request my references today (I'm an NQT so my uni do it for me)

The job I've gone for has requested my Uni references that is all.

The reference was printed for me to read.

IT WAS THE WRONG BLOOMING PERSON!! :( My name at the top, but describing some else who is aiming for a 2:2 and rarely goes to lectures.

Yes they've got me mixed up with another student.

The reference was abysmal.

I'm gutted.

Through no fault of my own this has happened....

They finally found my real reference which said PixiePie is a 1st class degree student, hard working...respectful...a pleasure to work with... and now this happens!

My real reference has now been emailed to the company today but as decisions come out Monday...Do you think they will have already made their decisions, or, do you think they will reconsider my application?

Kind regards,

a sad ... PP x

2. Hi TES-ers.

I went to request my references today (I'm an NQT so my uni do it for me)

The job I've gone for has requested my Uni references that is all.

The reference was printed for me to read.

IT WAS THE WRONG BLOOMING PERSON!! :( My name at the top, but describing some else who is aiming for a 2:2 and rarely goes to lectures.

Yes they've got me mixed up with another student.

The reference was abysmal.

I'm gutted.

Through no fault of my own this has happened....

They finally found my real reference which said PixiePie is a 1st class degree student, hard working...respectful...a pleasure to work with... and now this happens!

My real reference has now been emailed to the company today but as decisions come out Monday...Do you think they will have already made their decisions, or, do you think they will reconsider my application?

Kind regards,

a sad ... PP x

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Well, at least you have found a way to stand out! Presuming they know about the mix-up, and get the proper reference, you still have a shot. Have you emailed them to ensure they know the real situation?
    If decisions are due out on Monday, there is a chance that they are still deliberating on Friday.

4. Hi, I suppose you can search for the positives in it, but I'm worried they've made their mind up now and won't go back! Imagine this...Im chatting about a 1st class degree in my interview and they are looking down at my reference thinking...what kinda nutter is she? Oh dear, I'm cringing.

I have emailed the company but they do not have a phone number to explain. But yes, within an email I have explained the mix up.

I am praying so hard to be given a 2nd chance/ to be reviewed. I want a place so very much.

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

I'm sure this will get sorted out.
    And if not, still thank your lucky stars that you are not one of the hundreds of people per year whose CRB checks are the object of mistaken-identity cook-ups.

6. Thanks SMT_dude. I hope so too! I know its in the process now and the organisation have confirmed receipt of my new references.

Aha, CRB security checks will be on their way if I get the job! The trouble with a common name is things get mixed up so easily

pp x

7. ImmodestyBlaise

ImmodestyBlaise New commenter

SCE are an equal opportunities employer. You have a right to have your application considered fairly. Contact them. Phone them up. Get an assurance from somebody with a name that your correct reference will be reviewed. Email them. Phone them again to check. If you don't get an interview your civil service log-in will show feedback for your application but it will probably be generic. If, having read the feedback, you feel you were unfairly assessed, and seek an assurance that they used the correct reference. That's my advice. It's a terrible thing to have happen after you have invested so much effort and hope. Just read your last post more accurately and realised that my post is probably unecessary. But having typed it gonna post it. Best of luck.

8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Commiserations. Many years ago, at the behest of ECIS, I trekked out to Colombia for a headship interview. The first question was 'How long did you work in Argentina?' As I've never worked in Argentina it was clear that I'd gone a long way to discover that they were looking at the wrong CV. At least they upped Mrs M and me to First Class for the return flight. And to think Mike Maybury used to think he was God's great uncle.

9. Thank you for your reply immodestyblaise - I'm glad you clicked post

I have emailed today and so has my university with the new references.

However my interview was 10 days ago now and the results come out Monday

I doubt very much they'd remember me properly.

How can I get a number for the SCE?

I just want to know the panel will review my interview/application based on the new reference

I have a feeling the book is closed now though from what I've heard today.

I'm genuinely feeling upset because I wanted a place so very bad and I've worked so hard for it.

PP x

P.S Mainwairing, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. The time and effort you put in is so great and then all of sudden its like ... your bubble has been burst.

10. ImmodestyBlaise

ImmodestyBlaise New commenter

From the SCE website:
    Email: info@sceschools.com
    Tel No: 0049 (0)2161 472 4804
    Fax No: 0049 (0)2161 472 5545

Also:
    "If you have or any queries relating to recruitment administration or conditions of service, please contact the PPPA on UK (++44) (0)1225 829572."

Good Luck.

11. Oh no...I hope that this is sorted out Pixiepie. Everything crossed for you.