1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References from HR not the Head...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by DexterDexter, Jun 24, 2019.

1. DexterDexter

DexterDexter New commenter

I am on a short term contract so I will be leaving. I will definitely need references.
    Supply agencies have told me to give my head a nudge as it's taken 4 weeks to get my references back.
    Today, she told me that she is sending my references for HR to deal with. I had palpitations thinking it will just be agreeing dates- nothing more and it won't look good to potential employers (safeguarding etc)

I phoned HR who said that they have asked for this to happen and need to go through them so that they know they will have everyone's permission centrally- they were going to tell me this and ask permission tomorrow. Something like that.

Has anyone had this happen to them?
    Is this a new MAT thing?
    Am I right to be completely suspicious?
    Is HR in cahoots with my head? Is it likely my head has sent a relevant statement?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Supply agencies are only interested in references that read "@DexterDexter attended Barely Adequate Academy on these dates and there are no safeguarding issues". HR can easily do that or given that an agency was an employer then they can provide that.

Given that agencies have a lot of extra bodies outside of 7-9am then they can easily hit the phones to satisfy their own internal procedures over this and you can be certain they will if they see the chance of selling you out in a day or two.

agathamorse and DexterDexter like this.
  3. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

I'm annoyed your agency is spooking you.

Recruitment agencies have HR teams who are paid to get references. That's their problem. Not yours. But then, I've noticed a lot of people who run supply agencies really don't have a clue about how schools work.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You mean HR at the MAT are writing the reference?

There have been a couple of threads on here this year which have mentioned this about MATs. I suspect it's a reflection of the increasing central control of MATs and the removal of employment and finance functions from the heads of the individual schools. It's not HR giving the reference instead of the head, it's the MAT board giving the references instead of individual school heads.

There's no reason why a reference written by HR (on behalf of the MAT board) shouldn't say all the things about 'no safeguarding concerns' etc that a traditional reference from a headteacher would say. I don't think it matters who says it as long as it is said.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    JohnJCazorla, agathamorse and Pomza like this.
  5. DexterDexter

I think they have spammed the head and they just mentioned it in passing. I'm not upset by them!

6. DexterDexter

I did try and search before posting but I was unsuccessful so thanks for replying.
    My HT is a little spiteful and I thought she might have done this as a way of saying "I can't say anything nice, so I won't say anything at all, HR can do the work." If this is becoming commonplace and has no personal comment (and it's the same for everyone), then that's ok. It's if everyone's head at out trust gives a reference saying lovely things and I just get dates confirmed! That's what I was worried about!

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm not guaranteeing that's the case at your MAT! Just commenting that you aren't the first person who has mentioned this on here.

8. DexterDexter

I will remain suspicious yet calm that it has happened/is happening to others!!

Rott Weiler likes this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Nothing to worry about, just an admin process. A reference from HR will be totally fine. (Better even, as it will be totally factual and not written from the subjective viewpoint of the HT.)

DexterDexter likes this.
  10. DexterDexter

Now you've said that, I will sleep better! The head has her own way of looking at things!!

Pomza likes this.
  11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

It might be nothing more than a supply agency passing the responsibility for chasing references on to you, as they cannot be ar.sed to do it.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  12. DexterDexter

I’m not worried that someone in passing says “Put a rocket up ‘em!” It’s the MAT’s HR dept taking over references that wobbled me.