1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References FROM agencies

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by moleylong, Feb 7, 2012.

1. moleylong

moleylong New commenter

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of applying for a full time post with a school I have no links with, through supply or any other means.

I was wondering how it would go down with my agency if I put them down as a reference. How do you think they'd react?

2. moleylong

moleylong New commenter

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of applying for a full time post with a school I have no links with, through supply or any other means.

I was wondering how it would go down with my agency if I put them down as a reference. How do you think they'd react?

3. Ask them. You would have to ask anyway in order to put them down, that's just common courtesy. I don't see why they would have any problem with giving you a reference. I'm quite sure my agency would give me a decent reference if asked.

4. I had a problem initially getting a reference for 1-2-1 tutoring. My LA had recently changed supplier and I had a new agent who was, quite frankly, rubbish (and didn't last long). He refused to give me a reference because "he didn't know me", and the lady I'd dealt with all along, who had become a manager with the new agency, had apparently told him it was no longer her job. I had to get hold of her directly, and explain about needing a reference from your current employer when you haven't worked for anyone else in 5 years.
    Unfortunately, it impacted me because although I'd applied in June, I couldn't get hold of anyone in the 1-2-1 office about my application until the end of August, so I wasn't aware there was a problem. By the time I got a reference it was September, and most schools already had 1-2-1 tutors in place. *sigh*
    Thankfully, that agent's replacement has been around a while now, so I don't see a problem getting a reference from her, but it will only be a very general one based on chatting over the phone & reports back from schools. Luckily, I have a couple of HoDs in schools where I work regularly who would give me a good personal reference if needed.

5. This is very dire indeed. Try and avoid it. At one point, I had to use my agent for a reference. I may as well have not bothered. The only time I communicated with this unreasonable, mindless *** was for her to demand I go to X in Y time without violating the laws of physics/the highway. Sadly, I would suggest perhaps "bending the rules" a bit, rather than using an agent reference. I don't think they have anything to add to your application, unless you are from another planet.

6. This should be the only possible problem about an agency reference. Most job application forms always require your current employer as one of your referees, so I always state the agency ... but then on one of the rare occasions I got shortlisted, the school wanted a reference from someone who could actually comment in detail on my teaching. Not an easy task when we supply teachers don't get any official lesson observations -- all you can hope for is that someone will happen to wander in at a point when a lesson is going well. Best thing is probably to have a plan B, similar to Swiftie's: if there is a school where they seem to like you, ask if you may use them for references. Good luck.