1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References from a school you have left

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by RuLee, May 6, 2019.

1. RuLee

RuLee New commenter

I would appreciate some advice on asking for references when you have been out of teaching for a year. I took a short career break last summer and I am now thinking of applying for a new post in the autumn. I would need references from the senior leadership team in my old school but I have not had any contact with them since the summer and am unsure how to approach them.

Do I need to ask them for permission to write them down as a referee, since I am not longer working there?

If so, is sending an email to the office acceptable or should I phone them?

Thanks.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are going back into a teaching a reference will be required from your last school. The rule about that is in the DfE statutory safeguarding guidance, Keeping Children Safe in Education, at paragraph 139 in case you were wondering. The headteacher will be required to sign the reference (whoever is head now if it's changed since you left).

It would be courteous to email head in advance to let them know, although as you aren't working there at the moment not strictly necessary. That would also be an opportunity to remind the head who you are! And to ask politely "I hope it is acceptable to give you as a reference". I'd email the head (or the office for the head's attention).

agathamorse and RuLee like this.
  3. RuLee

RuLee New commenter

Thank you :)