1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References for VA schools

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Dave100, Jan 5, 2011.

1. This spring term, I'm likely to be applying for Headteacher positions.
    I feel quite frustrated however by the limitations set out by VA schools i.e. a faith reference is a must! I've seen several schools I wouldn't mind looking at but then look at the essential criteria and find a faith reference is required!
    Has anyone ever got around this or found a creative way forward?
    Also, I am now a more regular attendee at church due to my daughter being in a uniformed group...so is once a month to be "regular attendance?"
    Just wondered if anyone else has been in a simliar situation and is able to offer any advice?

2. This spring term, I'm likely to be applying for Headteacher positions.
    I feel quite frustrated however by the limitations set out by VA schools i.e. a faith reference is a must! I've seen several schools I wouldn't mind looking at but then look at the essential criteria and find a faith reference is required!
    Has anyone ever got around this or found a creative way forward?
    Also, I am now a more regular attendee at church due to my daughter being in a uniformed group...so is once a month to be "regular attendance?"
    Just wondered if anyone else has been in a simliar situation and is able to offer any advice?

3. There is a simple way to "get round it". Have an authentic belief in the religious values of the school evidenced by practising this in your life. Not exactly creative but probably best in the long run.

4. It is not a question of getting around it but rather having an authentic belief in the religious values of the school. If you are having to find creative ways around this it will end in problems for you and the school if you manage to get appointed.

5. If your true mindset is indicated in your post, then leading a "Faith" school would not seem to be for you.

6. Get your **** down to church boy and get you some religion, failing that find a friendly clergyman to lie for you, which would be rather ironic........

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Get ye down to the JobSeekers Forum, open the Welcome thread and read the clickables inside.
    Won't help with a faith reference, but will help you produce a good application.
    Best wishes

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That's because they actually want someone who actually believes and whose beliefs can be verified by a minister.
    Why would they want you, who clearly does not?