1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References for Applying a Post

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by fez_man, Apr 3, 2012.

1. fez_man

fez_man New commenter

Hi,
    When applying for a teaching post who would be the best person to use as my first reference, my mentor at my placement school or my lecturer at the university?
    Many thanks
    F.

2. fez_man

fez_man New commenter

Hi,
    When applying for a teaching post who would be the best person to use as my first reference, my mentor at my placement school or my lecturer at the university?
    Many thanks
    F.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It doesn't matter in which order you put them, either will be fine. Glad to see that you are taking jobseeking so seriously! Now to produce a really good application.
    There'sloads of advice available here for you. The advice on writing applications is contained mainly in those shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread here on this Forum. Also, you should read the FAQs.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this. If it looks as though the forms have room for the executive summary, you put it there and then do a separate application letter.
    The Welcome thread clickables explain about an executive summary.
    Best wishes