1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References for Application Process

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Lifey, Apr 19, 2012.

1. So now that I have decided the PGCE route is the best way forward into teaching I am looking into the application process and making sure I meet all the requirements before applications open in September.

I have the required degree, experience and GCSE grades but I am not sure what to do when it comes to the references.

From what I've read your first reference should be an academic reference, and if you've graduated within the last 5 years should be a university tutor or lecturer.

The thing is I graduated 3 years ago and spent very little time with all of my tutors, as every module seemed to have a different leader. I wouldn't be surprised if the tutor who supervised my dissertation and who I spent more time talking to has no idea who I am, I can't even remember his second name. Oh wait, it just popped into my head, but still that took a long time to think about.

Surely a reference from my Head of Department, who is English, at my current Thai school, where I have been working for a year, would be able to more appropriately comment on my suitability for this course, with the second referee as the teacher I assisted in my voluntary 2 week placement in the UK.

I just wondered if the requirement for a tutor/lecturer as a referee was a MUST or just a preference, as obviously I want to get the best reference I can and I don't honestly believe that a tutor I saw once a week for 2 months back in 2008/9 can do that.

Any suggestions?

2. So now that I have decided the PGCE route is the best way forward into teaching I am looking into the application process and making sure I meet all the requirements before applications open in September.

I have the required degree, experience and GCSE grades but I am not sure what to do when it comes to the references.

From what I've read your first reference should be an academic reference, and if you've graduated within the last 5 years should be a university tutor or lecturer.

The thing is I graduated 3 years ago and spent very little time with all of my tutors, as every module seemed to have a different leader. I wouldn't be surprised if the tutor who supervised my dissertation and who I spent more time talking to has no idea who I am, I can't even remember his second name. Oh wait, it just popped into my head, but still that took a long time to think about.

Surely a reference from my Head of Department, who is English, at my current Thai school, where I have been working for a year, would be able to more appropriately comment on my suitability for this course, with the second referee as the teacher I assisted in my voluntary 2 week placement in the UK.

I just wondered if the requirement for a tutor/lecturer as a referee was a MUST or just a preference, as obviously I want to get the best reference I can and I don't honestly believe that a tutor I saw once a week for 2 months back in 2008/9 can do that.

Any suggestions?

3. Hi,
    The requirement to have a tutor or lecturer as your principal referee is more of a recommendation. If you do not feel that any of your former tutors would be suitable referees I would suggest following the criteria for those who graduated more than 5 years ago (i.e. an employer, training officer or careers adviser).
    As such the Head of Department at the Thai school you are currently working in would certainly be a suitable person to use as your principal referee.
    I hope this information has helped and I wish you the very best with your application.

Lin Hinnigan, Teaching Agency