1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References - current or previous school?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by caterpillartobutterfly, Oct 22, 2017.

1. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Established commenter

Thanks Sunday, it probably will be an agreed reference but I know that any issues that are unsubstantiated cannot be referred to in an employment reference, so that gives me a bit of hope.

Thanks Caterpillar; I wish the people at my school thought that! Fluff indeed!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So sorry it seems to have come to this @digoryvenn. :(
    Though I appreciate after this length of time you probably just want to move on in a positive way.

3. saluki

saluki Established commenter

Oh bummer. I have just sent an application with my recent HOD (line manager) as first reference. My second reference was someone I thought would be suitable for the particular job which I applied for. The referee was from a voluntary position which I left 12 months ago after 7 years. My previous teaching job was 5 years ago and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

@saluki you did check with those referees it was OK to use them didn't you?

5. mms1

mms1 New commenter

This is what I would do and expect from an applicant, I accept that for some having spent more than 5 years in one school the second referee may be a little too distant to be relevant.

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Safeguarding procedures mean we have to seek a reference from current or most recent employment in schools via the headteacher. If it is so long ago that the best they can say is that you were employed by the school and there were no safeguarding or disciplinary issues then so be it. Schools must keep records a minimum of 6 years.

7. saluki

saluki Established commenter

Yep. I did check. Reference number 1 had to be my line manager. Ref 2 did not state who it should be. Therefore, I used someone relevant, whom I was still in touch with. I included my previous college and experience on application form.
    Should I be contacting somewhere that I left 5 years ago and asking if it is o.k. to use them as a reference? I'm not even sure if my line manager is still there. I had at least 4 different line managers in 5 years at my recent college. There were constant restructures, redundancies, idiots being promoted, staff leaving and new staff arriving. Another reason for leaving really.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Thank you all, you've been a great help, as expected! :)

Good luck to others of you also applying elsewhere, you need new workplaces far more than me. My current one is lovely, I'm just crazy enough to want to slide another step up the greasy pole. :confused:

9. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I used a head I had never met as a referee, as he was the new head of the last school I taught in. I asked, he agreed, and presumably did it by consulting my HoD and/or my personnel file.

I'm going to have problems if I try for another school post, though, as apparently they have already thrown away my personnel file (I wrote before six years were up to ask them to put a note on the top to keep it longer, but was apparently too late), and there's been a complete turnover of relevant staff. I can use my current employer, but "the head of the last school you worked in" might be a problem. I have volunteered continuously in a primary over the last seven years, so maybe the head there can be of some use.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.