1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References before shortlisting

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by greenpaddy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Dear Theo
    I would like to ask about the taking up of references before shortlisting. Is this common practise? Is there any reason for the referee to respond by phone instead of writing / email?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there, GreenP!
    Now some 4 or 5 years ago the Govt (that was) advised schools to ask for references before interviews. In other words, once they had shortlisted candidates, they should then get a reference. And schools get them in writing (letter, e-mail or fax) so that they can file them and prove to Ofsted that they were following this advice.
    There is aslo a practice called "longlisting" whereby a school longlists say 12 candidates, gets references on them all, and then looks at the whole picture for the candidates (application form, application letter, references) and then decides who to shortlist.
    The disadvantage of this system for you is that (a) your referee tells you s/he's received a reference request, so you think you are shortlisted, and (b) when you aren't, you then blame the referee for writing a dud reference. Which may not be the case at all, as they are looking at the whole picture and comparing you with the others.
    Hmn. I wouldn't myself be too keen on this, but I can see a situation where Head A knows Head B, so rings and says: "We are not sure whether or not to shortlist that Green Paddy of yours for our post - whaddya think?". This would normally be followed by an official request for a written reference, once the shortlisting had been done.
    Not too keen on it because you never know what is said.
    Another occasion might be when Head A says "We haven't received your reference for GreenPaddy, need it urgently because we are interviewing this morning". Head B could reply:"Great teacher, all observed teaching Good or better, does loads to support the school, we'll kill you if you appoint him! Written reference will be e-mailed to you as soon as the secretary finishes with the absences list"
    Still not too keen on it.
    Best wishes for 2012.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Many thanks for the response - the reason I asked it has been said that my current employer will call rather than return an email / put things in writing if he does not want you to leave and when on the phone he is vague / 'not selling you' and has told me he has said that he has not been able to answer one or two questions asked - but would not say what as he said references were private and confidential!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In which case you need to warn your second referee about this, so he can write very enthusiastically, perhaps even adding "I know that his current school appreciate him a great deal, and are hoping that he will not get offered another post, as they would not wish to lose him"
    :)
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

5. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Many thanks for the advice.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh, I do like it when people say "Thank you"!
    And I do HATE it when someone asks a question, then after myself and others giving our time and effort to reply, the OP never bothers to say anything, so there's just their post at the beginning of the thread and never again.
    So I'm pleased that you are not like that!
    Best wishes