1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

References after 4 years sitting around a swimming pool in a hot country

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by AshgarMary, Dec 3, 2011.

  1. AshgarMary

    AshgarMary New commenter

    I left my last full-time (non teaching) job over 4 years ago and moved abroad. I am currently still there.

    In that 4 years, I have gained a number of qualifications (by distance learning with some attendance at workshops in the UK), done a few short (a week here or there) freelance 'consultant' type jobs involving training and presenting and some TEFL, none of it full-time or prolonged, as my visa doesn't permit work. I have also done some freelance 'teaching related' work over the internet. However, it is fair to say that the majority of my time here has been as a lady of leisure.

    My last school-based teaching experience was very many years ago and the school no longer exists, the Head from my time died 10 years ago and I have no contact with former colleagues.

    At the moment, I am doing 'observations' in a local British curriculum school prior to taking up a place on a returners' course at a British University in January which will include some teaching practice. There is a possibility I may be able to get some further up to date teaching experience in one or other local British or American -curriculum school while I am here.

    Having looked at some of the 'safer recruitment' documentation, I'm just wondering who I give for references! My last employer is a large national company in the UK and I normally give the name of the person who was my boss for 3 years (rather than the final boss I had who was only in post 2 months before I resigned - no relation between that and my resignation!). I also obtained a CELTA in 2007 and the college based in London say it is fine to use the Principal as a reference. I'm fairly sure exhibiting my suntan as proof I wasn't on holiday at Her Majesty's Pleasure won't wash!

    I was approved as an adopter by a London Borough around 8 years ago and so had a very very thorough check out at that time. I may be able to find the letter stating my acceptance if likely to prove useful.

    I have a clear CRB check carried out in September this year and I also have a 'police criminal record check' (fingerprints and everything) from my local police station in said hot country carried out last week.

    I am planning to return as a secondary physics/science teacher (I have a physics PhD).

    I would be grateful for any recommendations from anyone who might be recruiting as to what may be deemed appropriate references in these circumstances. Would a reference from the university running my teaching course next semester be sufficient? What 'proofs' of my life abroad would you be looking for?

  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    My heart was sinking further and further as I read your post, until I got to:
    Because, to be honest, I felt that no referees was the least of your worries. But the magic word of Physics has cured everything!
    That would be the norm. You might also get some sort of reference from the
    and also from
    But it will be the one from the course that will be the main one.
    The CRB requirements will be for the school to have an up-to-date Police check document from wherever it is that you are living. Sounds as though you have got that:
    However neither
    will be of any use - a school has to get a new CRB on you.
    Don't think you have much to worry about. New, up-to-date training plus Physics - should be not too hard to get a job as long as you are not tied to one small area. You will have the disadvantage that you are expensive, but a school that needs a Physicist will have to bite the bullet.
    Independent schools in particular could be interested in you. Go to the Indy Forum here and read the Welcome thread and its clickables.
    And also read the Welcome thread here on JobSeekers for advice in general about applications.
    Best wishes
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
  3. AshgarMary

    AshgarMary New commenter

    Thanks :)

    That's heartening to know.

    I'm also following your suggestion earlier of applying to be an exam marker and have signed up on a 1-week OU residential summer school which is all science experiments and practical work to make sure I have up to date knowledge of scientific equipment and actually doing experiments.

  4. AshgarMary

    AshgarMary New commenter

    Thanks LIz for your info :)

    Hippo - I am considering it, though for personal reasons I am limited to this hot country or the UK. Current country is revolting so not sure if all foreigners will be given the order of the boot anytime soon!


Share This Page