1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

References advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by madeleine_faye, Apr 27, 2020.

1. madeleine_faye

madeleine_faye New commenter

Hello,

I qualified in 2017 after a SCITT year. Prior to that I worked for 6 months at the same school as a TA - I was hired on the understanding i would go on to train as a teacher. Before that, I worked for just less than a year at a bank, plus some other assorted jobs (graduated uni in 2012 so it took me a few years to decide on my career path).

The job I'd like to apply for is asking for three references, which I wasn't expecting. I can give my current headteacher plus my partner teacher who is also my line manager and assistant head. But I'm a bit stuck for the third. I could try to contact my old bank manager (could be tricky in itself as we didn't keep in touch) but I know that the bank refers all reference requests to their HR department and won't do more than confirm I worked for them.

Another option I've considered is asking my professional mentor, who I had contact with during my training year, but that was now nearly 4 years ago. We saw each other weekly at seminars, she was a bit like a university tutor in some ways, and I think she did a visit in my NQT year, but I wouldn't say we had tons of contact. I don't know if it would seem a bit odd to contact her out of the blue to ask, plus whether she could really comment on my capabilities as I think she only saw me teach a handful of times and not since 2017.

The third option I considered is just asking someone else fro my current school, like my phase leader from last year, but then I've got three from the same place which could look a bit strange. Then again it's obvious from my CV that this has been my only teaching job.

This is the first time I'm actually applying for a teaching post as a teacher so I could be overthinking it - does anyone have any advice?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Three references is a little unusual.

Three professional references, that is. Schools occasionally ask for a personal referee too, and schools that are part of a religious foundation etc often ask for a priest or iman as a referee.

Are you sure they are asking for three professional referees? What sort of school is it ?

keep safe everyone

madeleine_faye likes this.
  3. madeleine_faye

Thanks for your reply - it's a standard primary school, not part of an academy chain or foundation as far as their website says, and not religious, so I was only expecting two references would be needed.

The application form is also a very 'standard' application form from the Borough Council rather than specific to the school (or even teaching in general).

It asks for this:
    "Please give details of 3 referees who are able to comment on your suitability for the job, one of whom must be your present or most recent employer. If you have just left full time education you should give details of your course tutor or teacher. References from friends and relatives are not acceptable. Please note references will normally be taken up before interview."

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In which case, three from the same school it is.

Anything a long time ago isn't much use, really.

Perhaps the teacher in the year above who has taken on your class the following year?

Best wishes, keep safe

madeleine_faye likes this.
  5. madeleine_faye

Thank you! I have a few other colleagues I can ask, either my phase leader from last year who I worked very closely with, or as you say the teacher who took over my class this year (although she's now working at another school).

I had thought of another option - I'm a member of a sports team and also coach the sport, as a volunteer, as well as holding a committee position. It's a fairly niche/slightly off the wall though, but it does require team work and a ton of resilience plus athletic ability. Would another coach/teammate be a possible appropriate reference? I coach adults though and teach primary children.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I would prefer the teacher, as being a member of the profession.