1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by friendinthenorth, Feb 26, 2012.

  1. Dear Theo,
    I am hoping to move back into teaching after several years abroad, not teaching but working for the FCO. I see from your posts that I am to put my last Headteacher as a reference.The last school I worked at in the UK has amalgamated, the Head has moved and I do not know where to. I am also somewhat sceptical of recieving a considered reference from someonw who I worked with nearly five years ago. My HoD and Curriculum Leader are both retired now so I am unsure as to whether to use them? Should I just do my utmost to contact my previous Head? Advice welcome.
  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Tip for next time: put "Dear Theo" in the title, as I don't always open every one without this. :)
    You most certainly need (a) a reference from a school, to give details of your teaching, and also (b) a reference from your current or most recent employer in a job involving working with children.
    So you need to hassle around and try to find the Head, Deputy Head, or HoD/Curr Leader.
    But actually your main problem is not finding your referees, it is your lack of current teaching experience. This, you will understand will put you at a disadvantage compared to other applicants, I'm afraid.
    Best wishes
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.

Share This Page