1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reference trouble

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Jaffak89, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Hello all!

I recently joined a supply agency (as an NQTwho couldn't find a post). They said that I needed three references so I passed on the contact details of my three referees who had all agreed to be referees. However, the agency got in touch with me to say they had been contacting the school but they still hadn't received a reference and would I help them to chase this up; so I have been helping. I have emailed the school several times and then I rang them to find out what was going on. The secretary said she had forwarded the emails to the teacher but I asked her to pass the message on in person so that I knew she had been asked. I still haven't heard anything and neither has my supply agency. I'm going to ring the school again in a minute but what should I do about this? Has anyone got any ideas? It's been three weeks now since the agency got in touch with the school.

Help! Thank you!

Katie

2. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Ring up the school when you know the person will be free and ask to speak to them directly!

3. Agreed , do it TODAY.

4. GodOfBiscuits

GodOfBiscuits New commenter

Teachers, especially heads of department and so on, are busy people and often it's time and not unwillingness to help which is the issue. A practice that I have heard may be going on in some areas is that the teacher being asked forwards the reference request on to the person being asked about, they fill it in and send it back to the teacher, who reviews and submits it to the agency.

I am, of course, not advocating that you should do this or suggest it. Not advocating anything of the sort.

Just... you know... sayin'...