1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reference/text books that you still use today...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dowager_countess, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Hi all, I'm just wondering what reference/text books teachers with experience still use today? Having just been a student for a long time I am somewhat overloaded with books (Assessment for learning, behaviour, educational theories etc,) But I'm just wondering which ones are the most useful to teachers with experience under their belt.

Would you as an experienced teacher sit down to read a book on AfL by Shirley Clarke, or look to pick up classroom tips from a book?

Just wondering if there is anything I should have!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

The last book I bought for my own reading (for school that is) was Getting The *** to Behave! Sue Cowley. I enjoyed reading it, but haven't gone back to it I must admit.
    Don't go back to college books at all. In fact sold them all - many, many years ago.
    Should I have put this in the confession thread do you think?

3. marlin

Oh, wondered if it might change the title all starry! You probably know what I mean.

4. marlin

To come back with a more considered response.
    You will find that fads in education come and go very quickly and you just couldn't keep up with the cost of buying all of the 'wonderful' guides that come out for each of them. Nor will you have time to read them.
    You will gather a forest worth of handouts during INSET days and on courses that give you all the info you need to know about the latest thinking.

5. essentiallyprincess

essentiallyprincess New commenter

ohhh good interesting question (as a nearly qualified person). Wonder if I will be able to heed advice and burn any them as a hoarder though.

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Always delighted to be advised by my colleagues who have stood the test of time! (and pinch their good ideas!) (plus it's more grist to my mill of 'there ain't nothin' new in teachin'!')

7. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

The ones I still refer to are 'Mathematics for Primary Teachers' by Derek Haylock, which I find really useful when changing year group or key stage, and Jenny Mosley's Circle Time book. If I could only have one, it would be the Derek Haylock, as I find it's brilliant for clear explanations and indicates possible misconceptions or difficulties children might have. Really useful for reference before teaching a new area of maths.

8. Thanks for the responses and discussions so far. Perhaps I don't need to hang on to as many books as I thought then!