1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Reference request from school I did long-term supply at

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by southpacific, May 22, 2019.

  1. southpacific

    southpacific New commenter

    Hi all
    Can anyone advise me?
    I did a year and a half long-term supply (part time) at a school, got on well there and left recently due to relocation.

    I am applying for new permanent positions and have signed up to a supply agency in my new village. The agency want a reference from this school before I can start supply. When I left my old supply school, the head said he would give me a reference, but he has so far not responded to reference requests from the agency and has not replied to an email and phone call from myself. I don't want to badger him, but it has been over two weeks and I desperately need to work to support my family.

    What do I do? The agency who employed me have already provided one reference and I am mindful that I will need this head to provide a reference for any permanent work I am offered. Help! I need to work!
    pepper5 likes this.
  2. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    Badger the HT! Not much else you can do at this point.

    I'd call the Head's PA and politely ask if the HT has received the request and if the PA knows when the HT will sending it as new school can't confirm your job until they have it. Remind PA that HT had agreed to provide reference. Getting the PA onside is usually a good tactic, they have ways of making sure the request gets to the top of the pile!
  3. les25paul

    les25paul Star commenter

    I'm afraid that providing references for supply teachers is not going to be a priority for many HTs. Your ex HT probably intends to provide one as they said but it has got pushed to the back of the list of things to do. Your agency should also realise this.

    The option I always used was to ask if the HoD I worked in would provide one. The HoD knows you better and might feel more inclined to help you. I never had any problems with agencies accepting a reference from a HoD or from any HoD willing to provide one.
    agathamorse likes this.

Share This Page