1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reference issues and teacher training

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by aoscroft93, Feb 2, 2017.

1. aoscroft93

aoscroft93 New commenter

Hello. I'm not sure if I was supposed to post anything on a welcome board or anything, so I'm sorry about that.
    But hi again!
    This week I went to 2 interviews. One was school direct another was scitt, both for secondary English.
    Both training providers told me yes on the day. Which is amazing, considering I got stuck in a drain at the one interview in front of year 11 students!
    So I'm feeling very confident, but have the feeling my whole world is going to come crashing down. I can't supply an academic reference.
    I graduated with a 2:2. My dad died when I was studying, things fell apart. I didn't behave the way I should have. I squandered those grades in all honesty.
    Since then I've thrown myself into work experience, voluntary work in schools. I wanted to make myself stand out!
    It's took nearly 3 years to have the courage to apply for teacher training and so far so good.
    Well I graduated university in 2014. My lecturers and personal tutor don't recall me. They don't feel they've built a relationship to give me a reference. Some have just point blank ignored me. Some probably don't even know I've asked them. I get it. I was a messed up person back then. And ive explained this to those who interviewed me.
    But I was interviewed in good faith that maybe university would stop messing me around. But I feel like it's all over for me.
    Has any one been in a situation like this? Are there other ways? I mean my two work references got me an interview. And I was the one who got me the yesses. So there must be a way?

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Doesn't your uni have a generic referencing office? They can confirm dates of enrollment, modules, grades etc. Phone their main office to find out.

What references did you use on your UCAS ref? Why were they not good enough, and now an academic ref is required?

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Your university will have a generic academic reference for you - they are required to hold one on file.

4. aoscroft93

aoscroft93 New commenter

Thank you both for the information. I have asked for a generalised reference and they said they didn't operate that way. I found that so bizarre and it hurt me because I thought I was onto something there. I guess if I persist they may point me in the right direction.
    I sent off a work placement reference from a school I volunteered in. This was from the head teacher. Another was from another educational charity organisation I worked with too. Both got me through to interview stage and I just don't know how!
    Thanks for the advice I will get straight on the phone again and insist as an ex student who paid for the privilege of being taught mostly very insightful material but also some very useless things, I should have their support still until my 5 years is up.

MissNoelle likes this.
  5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

This is very odd. I would ask again.