1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reference Issue NQT Applications

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Mikerich85, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Mikerich85

Mikerich85 New commenter

Hi all,

I have a query that has worried me since I was awarded my Primary PGCE in December.
    I completed a flexi course therefore 2 academic part time study years. Upon applying for vacancies now, I have a big problem with references. I did not finish my final placement (I was told to leave having being bribed by the HT to fabricate guided reading data prior to a KS1 external moderation, the HT was the year 2/3 combined class teacher and my placement mentor - I refused to commit to the request therefore told I would not be signed off the placement, 10 days prior to the end date. I was then told to leave). A horrible and messy end to a PGCE that took 12 months to appeal and finally granted with my NQT status.
    I have read an NQT's application must include refs from my university tutor (no issue there), and my the final placement school...
    How do I possibly provide this HT as a referee? I am currently volunteering in a school to get myself back in the zone so to speak. I would be ever so grateful for any advice that could help me with this very concerning problem.

Thank you

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Just use the HT of your volunteering school as a referee (if they are happy to provide one). I haven't heard of schools specifying that it should be your final placement school (I provide loads of references for NQTs) but even so, I doubt the HTs of the schools you are applying to will even notice.

Middlemarch likes this.
  3. Mikerich85

Mikerich85 New commenter

Thank you I appreciate that response!

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'd use the university tutor and the Head of your first placement school.

wanet likes this.