1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reference from international school- help!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jaybird3512, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Hi
    I am in abit of a pickle. Working overseas for 6 months, hate it. I want to break my contract and return to uk. I dont want to use school as a reference, things are acrimonious. Will this be a problem in uk? Can i just omit the past 6 months off my applications??
    Please any advice!!!!!!!!!!

2. Hi
    I am in abit of a pickle. Working overseas for 6 months, hate it. I want to break my contract and return to uk. I dont want to use school as a reference, things are acrimonious. Will this be a problem in uk? Can i just omit the past 6 months off my applications??
    Please any advice!!!!!!!!!!

3. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

Oh dear! Which school? Are you in the Middle East? You could come back and join a supply and get your references from them. Supply agencies should be more understanding of the truth.

4. Yes im in the middle east! Could I register with the supply team and not tell them about the last 6 monts? I have worked for my LA for 12 years so i have got recent references.
    Thanks for your quick response

5. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Why do you hate it? Why do you feel the need to do a runner? Can you really not finish your contract?

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

My suggestion would be to use only one exclamation mark and only one question mark, jaybird3512. If you really want other teachers to help you and to give you some well-considered, thoughtful and professional advice, then perhaps it would be a good idea if you were to make sure that your post is properly written and in good English, without too many adolescent grammatical errors and immature attempts to look "cool".
    It seems to me that many principals in the UK do not regard working in an international school as "proper" teaching, so they probably would not hold it against you if you were to break your contract and go back home. However, the employment situation in the UK is very bad indeed for most teachers. (There are some very unhappy stories on the TES "unemployed teachers" forum.) Furthermore, breaking your contract might make it very difficult indeed, if you were ever to apply for another job in an international school. Without knowing more about your personal situation, it is rather difficult to give you any clear advice in this matter.

7. I can assure you any errors are due to stress and not trying to look cool! I am 50 years old and do not have te urge to look cool so your advice is really very unhelpful!

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Others may differ, but my advice would be to not go down this route.
    An employment check will look at your full employment history. If you remove something and it is consequently discovered, then suspicions will arise as to why it was removed.
    Look at it this way. Imagine you get an application across your desk. 6 months is missing from the employment record and the previous employer, when asked, said you went abroad.
    What are you going to think?

9. the hippo

Well, at least you have now stopped your irritating overuse of the exclamation mark and the question mark, so my post was of some practical help.
    I was once in a similar situation in Saudi Arabia and, to be honest, I was tempted to break my contract. Looking back on it now, I am glad that I stuck it out. If you were to have something better to look forward to in September, then the next five months would not be quite so bad.

10. 576

576 Established commenter

I"ve quite tempted at the moment to hand in my resignation - pay my own shipping and flight & leave at the end of this school year.
    So I wonder hippo, could you please explain why you're glad that you stuck it out?

11. the hippo

Well, it is a personal thing, I suppose. The Saudi teenage boys I was attempting to teach really were ghastly specimens (one of them was Osama Bin Laden's nephew) and they went out of their way to make my life as difficult as possible. However, I somehow managed to finish my contract and it was easier once I knew that I had another job to go for the following year.

12. Hippo.... Advice and support about the difficult situation, rather than a disrespectful comment with regards to the use of exclamation marks and English gramma.

13. the hippo

Chris2511, I have given, and will continue to give, advice and support to many posters on this forum.
    Why is it unreasonable to expect a professional teacher to take a few extra minutes in order to make sure that his or her post is written in good English?

14. Chris,
    You'll find this retread (sic) bore over every post he can get to. Ignore him.

15. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Now, now. To be fair, the Hippo may be a bit pedantic at times on certain subjects, but he is often very helpful and generous when it comes to giving useful and valuable advice to posters here.

16. Thankyou everybody for your comments, some helpful, some not so.For me personally this forum is not the place for my grammar to be scrutinised but a place where we can share experience and advice. I wrote yesterday feeling pretty desperate but further to the information I have gained I have made the decision to stick it out.
    Onwards and upwards!!! Sorry Hippo trying to look cool again.

17. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Dear Jaybird,
    that is really the best decision. Heads in the UK and overseas do actually care about a completed professional history (perhaps you were caring for a sick relative) and a rudimentary check of past employment would throw up the anomaly of 6 months missing. First question always is:
    - what were you doing? (You could have been serving time at HM's pleasure)
    If you give the honest answer "I was teaching overseas", my next question is
    - why did you leave it off your CV?
    Putting it on at least gives you a chance to explain <u>why</u> you broke contract/left early.
    Deception in your personal details/employment history (even by omission) gives a School the right to rescind an employment offer and also to terminate employment subsequently - not really something you want to contemplate.
    If you stick it out - good for you. If you break contract - <u>explain why</u>. A lot of Heads are actually quite sympathetic to personal/professional predicaments and these kinds of challenges and have seen these kind of issues and situations before.

18. Thankyou Syria1,
    Yes I know this is the prudent thing to do. Anyway five months is not long in the greater scheme of tings and I just need to 'rise above' and be positive [​IMG].

19. the hippo

Your apology is accepted, Jaybird.

20. dash201

dash201 New commenter

Also, check that your school will issue you a NOC if that is a requirement otherwise you are just staying there.
    On another note, I am cool. I don't need the exclamation marks to prove it.