1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reference etiquette

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by susiec08, Nov 4, 2011.

1. I have been doing regular supply in a primary school and have more work booked with them via an agency. I am still applying for longer term jobs. What can I do about references?
    Is it appropriate to ask the head of the school for a reference, even though she wouldn't have seen me teach, but just got feedback from other staff/children OR should I as for a reference from the supply agency (again they won't have seen me teach) OR should I stick with the Uni reference and placement school reference?
    (I am posting in jobseekers as well...)
    Thanks.

2. I have been doing regular supply in a primary school and have more work booked with them via an agency. I am still applying for longer term jobs. What can I do about references?
    Is it appropriate to ask the head of the school for a reference, even though she wouldn't have seen me teach, but just got feedback from other staff/children OR should I as for a reference from the supply agency (again they won't have seen me teach) OR should I stick with the Uni reference and placement school reference?
    (I am posting in jobseekers as well...)
    Thanks.

3. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

Hi Susie, if i were you I would have one placement school reference and approach the headteacher of the school which you do regular supply at. It depends on whether or not you have indeed made contact with the HT of the school. I have been doing supply for the past few years and in the schools i'm at regularly I have asked the Ht's to be my referees. Bear in mind you need to have had some kind of dialogue with this HT. I have been at a school 3 days per week for the past year and have yet to properly speak to the HT. Hence, i would not ask her for a reference. However, at the other schools where I am well known and have regular contact with the HT's I wouldn't hesitate to ask. I hope i've made sense. I'm a bit tired.

4. It is only a small school so I have spoken to the head on several occassions and have this week covered a class where she normally covers the CT PPA time (teaching head role). I would feel comfortable asking her, I just wanted to check it was the 'done' thing.
    Thanks