1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reference difficulties

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Alice W., Jul 20, 2015.

1. Alice W.

Alice W. New commenter

Dear Theo,

I've read all the info. I can find about this subject, but still have a query. It's to do with references. I worked for a long time at one school (left 3 years ago) then worked 'on supply' up until December, 2014. I then had to care for my very sick daughter (who is now starting to improve) and I now need to work again (starting in September). The trouble is, I don't know who to put for my references. Agency ones are no good and the one long-term post I got was in 2013 (for two terms). Unfortunately the head at the time has now left and I very much doubt that the staff still there could help, as I did such a variety of tasks, at their school. What do you advise? Has too much time passed for me to ask my old head? Anyone else I could ask from there has retired.

Thank you in advance.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo Alice, I'm glad to hear that your daughter;s health is now improving. Do mention this briefly - half a sentence - in any application to explain the gap.

The rule is current or most recent employer in a post involving work with children or young people.

Was there any school where you went back for supply several times in 2014? Could you ask them? You could also ask your old Head; normally I would say too long ago, but in your particular circumstances I think it would be acceptable.

Have you read all the advice on applications? Tell me if you haven't found it and I'll give you the links.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. Alice W.

Alice W. New commenter

Thank you for your prompt reply. You've given me 'food for thought' and reassurance, when I thought I'd run out of possibilities. Thanks also for your good wishes and comment about my daughter. It's been a long, hard slog which is not over with yet.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter