1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Referees

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cmn374, Jan 17, 2020.

1. cmn374

cmn374 New commenter

Hi,
    I would like some advice. I am thinking of applying for a new job - probably abroad, although that isn't the main focus of this post. One of the adverts I have looked at states that they require three references; I know one will need to be my current head teacher, but I'm not sure who else to ask.
    Some background: I'm a late entrant to teaching having worked in the NHS previously. I left my previous job after a long (approx 4 year) period of ill health - so my sickness record from that job is pretty awful. I completed my PGCE with some difficulty as I was still recovering & had to complete an extra placement.
    I have since successfully worked in the same school for the last 5 years. I have become a subject leader (TLR) & my current sickness record is not an issue.
    Could I use my current head of department as a second referee (although I know he/she writes the main part of the headteacher reference)? and who else should I ask? I'm sure my university tutor would write a reference, although due to my 'rocky' training year it might not be a glowing one; going back 6 years to my last NHS employer seems rather a long time & would probably guarantee a lacklustre response.
    Any advice would be welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I used tye Co head teachers and a senior colleague - she wasn't my manager. Some international schools are more interested in the person behind the CV. It's fundamental that the person fits the school, lifestyle and country otherwise they won't have long term credibility to complete a contract. They don't want a runner.

cmn374 likes this.
  3. richwrigley

richwrigley New commenter

1. Headteacher/head of school
    2. Head of department
    3. PGCE Tutor or other line manager at your current school.

I work in an international school and have been involved in recruitment. TBH the first two are the most important so don¨t worry too much. But I would have your third referee been in education and not the NHS.