1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Referees not replying

Discussion in 'Primary' started by love_3_arts, May 22, 2020.

1. love_3_arts

love_3_arts New commenter

I am a student teacher and have just recently received a job offer at a school I absolutely adore. I was advised that the school has contacted referees but is currently waiting for their reply.

Yesterday, I emailed both referees (headteacher from first placement and mentor from second placement), which had both previously agreed to provide me with references. I understand this is an extremely difficult time for schools but I really don’t want to miss out on such a fantastic opportunity. Considering neither have gotten back to me yet, what should I do ?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not sure that they would get back to you.
    Generally the prospective school contacts the referees and then waits for the replies. They chase up any that are slow. The applicant doesn't play a part in this.

As it's now half term, they'll probably wait a week or so to chase them.
    If you know the references will be good, then just relax and let the powers that be sort it out.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Unless you've been waiting a very long time, I wouldn't worry about it. If they've had a request in the last couple of weeks, it's probably had to go lower down the pile than "work out if/how to implement return to school after half-term" and "reference for existing member of staff so that their job offer can be confirmed before the end of May when they need to resign from the current job".