1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Referees dilemma

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by baileysonice, Oct 20, 2015.

1. baileysonice

baileysonice New commenter

I last worked in a primary school 2 years ago before a period of ill health following my marriage breakdown. I'm now working as a purchase ledger clerk in an office but I'd like to return to primary school work - as a TA initially with the possibility of teaching again at some point.

My issue with references is that the Headteachers at both of my previous schools have moved on. Do I need to track them down and approach them personally for a reference or can someone else at my previous school/s provide a reference?

Thanks for any advice offered

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

There should be a reference on file - I would contact the school first and ask.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, ask the school who could provide a reference. If the Head has gone, the current Head could find your file, or ask someone who did know you (Deputy Head? KS Co-ordinator?) to provide information.

In a large Secondary where the Head may not have first-hand knowledge of every teacher, it is routine for the Head to be the referee, the actual reference to be drafted by, say, the Head of Department, and the Head gives the final look-over and it is typed for him/her to sign as coming from the Head.

Best wishes

4. baileysonice

baileysonice New commenter

Thank you very much - that's encouraging :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing Thumbs Up icon)