1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Referee Query

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jadus182, May 20, 2019.

1. jadus182

jadus182 New commenter

Hi there,

I have recently been offered a job outside of teaching. When I applied for the job in April, I put the acting head as the referee however, a new head has taken their place during this half term and the person who was acting head is now back in their previous role as Phase Leader (this means they are still my line manager).

My question is will this person still be able to give me a reference for my current role or does it HAVE to be the current HT? I feel person I wrote on my CV knows me better and can give a more detailed reference.

Thanks.

2. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Anyone can be a referee, so no you do not have to put the HT as a referee.

However, in order for their opinion to carry influence it is best if they hold, or have held, a position of responsibility over you in order for them to write with authority about you. The head is the person seen as having the highest level of responsibility within a school so it makes sense for potential employers to expect them to be one of your referees.

Presumably you asked the acting head if they were willing to be a referee for you when you put them put them on your application form and if they are happy to provide a reference for you then there should be no problem.

3. jadus182

jadus182 New commenter

Thanks for your reply. I did indeed ask them. In fact I've asked them several times since initially asking as it was a long wait between applying and interview.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think schools need a reference from the Head, but other employers don't care as long as it is somebody who is in a position to know how well you work. Given that you have already been offered the job (subject to references, I would guess) then the employer is just looking for somebody to be positive about you or, at least, not say anything negative.